Answered

SONOS REGA PLANAR 1 BOSE WIRELESS HEADPHONES

• 22 October 2019
  • 10 replies

Badge

I really want to hear my vinyl through my Bose wireless  headphones. My speaker system is all SONOS products with Connect:Amp to link Rega Planner Plus 1. Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 22 October 2019, 22:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge

*SONOS Connect not Connect:Amp...

Userlevel 7

Hi dcjt237

I assume the Bose headphones are BT.  You can connect a BT transmitter to the RCA outputs of the Sonos Connect.  

Note: Your TT must have either a built-in Pre-Amp or be connected to an outboard Pre-Amp. If you are truly using a Sonos Connect the above is possible. If a Connect:Amp then not so. Also, you should change your profile to Connect and not Connect AMP; unless you have both.

There are better BT transmitters which take an optical connection, and are thus digital right through.  

Badge

Thank you for the feedback. I’m not much of a techie so to clarify I have Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones and the SONOS Connect. From what’s being said I just need to purchase a BT transmitter which can be plugged to the SONOS Connect, right?

Badge

Anyone recommend a reliable and decent BT transmitter to pair with BOSE Quietcomfort 35 MKII headphones?

Many thanks,

Well, I like to use Avantree products. However those Bose headphones apparently only support the SBC and AAC Bluetooth codecs, so the best you’d get out of, say, an Avantree Audikast would be SBC. Unfortunately Bose don’t have the ‘near CD quality’ aptX.

SBC is the ‘lowest common denominator’ in terms of Bluetooth audio, and is to a degree responsible for the perception that Bluetooth audio is not that great.

AAC is better, but Bluetooth transmitters which support it have not been so commonplace.

A quick search yielded a few examples of transceivers that support AAC, but only in receive mode (presumably to work with an iDevice).

Unless you can find an alternative transmitter it looks like you’ll be stuck with SBC, in which case any suitable, cheap transmitter will do.

(Edited to remove potentially confusing references to unsuitable products.)

Badge

Many thanks ratty. Appreciate the feedback and guidance.

Apparently, SONOS are developing headphones with a product planned for release next year. Depending on price and assuming they will connect with the in-house SONOS products I have, will probably sit tight for now. As much as I want to hear my vinyl through headphones I don’t want to compromise the sound quality.

Thanks all for your contributions. 

There was wild and unsubstantiated speculation back in January. Since Sonos don’t publish anything at all by way of product plans this speculation was just that, and frankly I wouldn’t be basing any immediate decisions on such rumours. 

Userlevel 1

Hey at @dcjt237 just wondering if you are listening to your vinyl are you expecting to be walking around or just wanting to utilize some expensive headphones while sitting in a comfortable chair?

If so, would a wired setup work during your vinyl listening sessions? (If you want best quality possible you are going to degrade anytime you digitize an analog signal to transmit it wirelessly.) There are some products such as the Schiit Asgard for $200 that would allow you to place it between the record player and the connect. It will act as a pre-amp when headphones aren’t connected and pass the signal through to Sonos. When you plug in headphones to the schiit amp it will act as a headphone amp and never digitize the signal which in should provide a higher fidelity. 

You also could utilize the digital out on your connect and get one of the DAC options and use your sonos system as a source for the headphones if you wished.

**There are arguments that quality you would lose by digitizing isn’t audible and bose qc35 are purpose built headphones that are more for noise cancelling than pure sound quality. ymmv 

Badge

Thanks @Shady AF , appreciate your comments. I’d be looking to hear my vinyl through headphones whilst sitting down. I’ll explore the DAC option.

Thanks again!