Question

Sonos Port with Denon Receiver

• 29 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi there,

I’m considering puchasing / connecting a Sonos Port to a Denon AVR2700h 5.1.2 set up (to connect the TV speakes with the rest of the house driven by a couple of Sonos Amps). I’ve not bought any of this equipment and a bit of noob so just wondering:

1. I assume the Sonos Amps need to stay on all the time to receive signal from the App?
  2. Is that the same for the Sonos Port?
  3. And then again for the Denon?
  4. Or do they all stay on “standby” until I use the Sonos App?
  5. Most importantly: if they are on standby, will the Sonos Port be able to “wake” the Denon?
  6. If not, is there another way of doing this?

Many thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TLight321

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information to help you out. 

Sonos speakers and other devices do not have an ON nor OFF switch. They should be plugged into power and if not being used they go into standby mode.

You may connect your Denon AVR2700h using RCA cable to Sonos Port's RCA outputs or digital coax cable to the digital out port. The Sonos Port has a 12V trigger output with a current rating of 200mA that can be connected to an amplifier with a 12V trigger input. This brings an amplifier out of standby mode when the music starts playing, reducing the time it takes for the amplifier to become active and start outputting audio to your speakers. For this to work your AVR should have a 12v trigger input. Please see the Sonos Port product manual for more information. You may check the following community topics for your reference.

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/port-to-denon-avr-6840262
https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/sonos-port-12v-trigger-6831565

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you.