Answered

Sonos Port: Wired connection but still music is interrupted

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I'm using a sonos port which is connected to my recordplayer. The Port is connected via a LAN cable to my router (Sonosnet channel 1) and the music has been set to compressed...and is played via multiple One's

Still I'm losing audio; The music sometimes is not played for 10-20 seconds before it starts playing again.

Also the sonos s2 app (on my Iphone) states that it can't connect to Sonos

Any idea how to resolve this? Eventhough sonos is wired, can it have something to do with my wifi?

icon

Best answer by ratty 24 October 2020, 12:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

I’ve had a read back through the thread, to try and refresh my memory. Can you perhaps summarise where things now stand:

• which Sonos components are now wired?
  • which speakers drop out when playing the turntable’s Line-In? 
  • which 2.4GHz channels (and widths) are in use and where? 
  • what became of the attempts to investigate what appeared to be substantial interference?

If you felt like posting another screenshot of the network matrix it could be useful.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

No prob. Thanks upfront for assisting.

• Only 1 ONE is wired. All others wireless. Sonos WM:0
  • All speakers (Sometimes group living room, sometimes group kitchen….but mostly all of them)
  • Router (in bridge mode) only broadcasts channel 1. (This is used by Sonos and Canary devices. Canary doesn't work on 5 GHZ). All other devices (laptop, iPhone use the 5 Ghz band)
  • All attempts made (as described in above thread) didn't result in a steady solution. (Powered down the canary's, powered down my Goodle hub..so only Sonos remained….no luck unfortunately)
  • Do you believe a SONOS BOOST will help? (Not sure what its added value would be as I already have a router (birdgme mode) present in the living room
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Current set up:

The wired One is a surround. You should not use a home theatre satellite as the sole wired connection. It can cause instability.

On that basis, and if you’re unable to wire anything else, wiring a Boost instead might help. Adding a Boost without wiring it to the network would be a waste of time; it would be ignored.

The signal strengths between the nodes are good and, again, the red cell in the left column suggests that everything is fighting interference. (The white cells in that column are because the latest radio modules don’t return ambient data in a compatible format. The full diagnostic -- visible only to Sonos -- would tell the complete story.)

Instead of investing in a Boost, have you tried running your system on your router’s WiFi in “wireless” mode? 

What is the SonosNet channel? It’s not the same as the router’s is it? 

And what is the router’s 2.4GHz channel width? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Sonosnet channel is 11
How can i switch to my WiFi channel and disconnect from sonosnet?

Thx
Sven

Sonosnet channel is 11

Okay, so well clear of the router then.

How can i switch to my WiFi channel and disconnect from sonosnet?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks. As also for all previous help
Before i switch to wireless, would it help if i would connect my playbar as the wired hub?

Just came to know that connecting a surround ONE supposedly is not to be used. (would expected the app to prevent me from setting this up, anyway)

Will inform you on progress

Before i switch to wireless, would it help if i would connect my playbar as the wired hub?

Sure, try that if you can easily run a cable from the router.

Just came to know that connecting a surround ONE supposedly is not to be used. (would expected the app to prevent me from setting this up, anyway)

The controller app isn’t set up to notice that a surround is the only wired device.

It’s mentioned somewhere that you shouldn’t do this, though I can’t immediately locate it. Basically it’s because the connection between the HT master (your Playbar) and the satellite (One) flips channel, under the control of the master. Also, loading that link with incoming internet streams could impact its latency, and hence upset the tight sync between master and satellite. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

What would be the wisest. WiFi or sonosnet via the playbar? 

Both is easily doable on my end..

(Thanks for the voiceover regarding the satellite. Highly appreciated)

Try both. See which works best.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Will do. Thanks again for all the help
Will keep you posted

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Going for SonosNet first. Just made the playbar wired to the router.
Will keep you posted on progress

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

The signal strengths between the nodes are good and, again, the red cell in the left column suggests that everything is fighting interference. 

No idea what is causing the interference at the playbar. There are NO other (Wifi enabled) devices in its proximity. The TV has been switched off. The only device nearby is the SUB. Is the SUB causing this interference for the playbar?

The signal strengths between the nodes are good and, again, the red cell in the left column suggests that everything is fighting interference. 

No idea what is causing the interference at the playbar. There are NO other (Wifi enabled) devices in its proximity. The TV has been switched off. The only device nearby is the SUB. Is the SUB causing this interference for the playbar?

No. As mentioned a couple of months ago it’s likely to be a non-WiFi actor in the 2.4GHz band, quite possibly Hue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@ratty : Hope you don't mind me asking;

What is the impact of a wired connection of the playbar in combination with sonosnet when I'm NOT streaming internet related content? In other words: How will the sonosnet, wired via the playbar,  prevent fall outs when playing vinyl via the port? Thanks upfront for educating me.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

No. As mentioned a couple of months ago it’s likely to be a non-WiFi actor in the 2.4GHz band, quite possibly Hue

Damn. Never thought of those...Thanks!…..Have multiple HUE lights active. Any idea why the playbar is heavily affected by these and the other SONOS products aren't? (As I have roughly 15 HUE lights in the living room/kitchen...so all of them should experience interference I would think)

@ratty : Hope you don't mind me asking;

What is the impact of a wired connection of the playbar in combination with sonosnet when I'm NOT streaming internet related content? In other words: How will the sonosnet, wired via the playbar,  prevent fall outs when playing vinyl via the port? Thanks upfront for educating me.

Whether or not there’s communication with the internet there’s still a local network topology, for the devices to talk to one another. The active SonosNet wireless links are indicated by the coloured squares in the matrix.

To be honest, I’m not sure wiring your Playbar is going to be the silver bullet, though having just the surround wired was definitely an incorrect configuration. 

No. As mentioned a couple of months ago it’s likely to be a non-WiFi actor in the 2.4GHz band, quite possibly Hue

Damn. Never thought of those...Thanks!…..Have multiple HUE lights active. Any idea why the playbar is heavily affected by these and the other SONOS products aren't?

Everything on 2.4GHz would be affected, but as I’ve already remarked the other units can’t report the ambient RF noise in a way that the matrix is able to display. 

I think you should try the suggestion to put your system into “wireless” (WiFi) mode. The One (Gen 2), One SL and Port can now connect to 5GHz WiFi, if the correct SSID is configured into the system, so it would be worth seeing whether that helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I think you should try the suggestion to put your system into “wireless” (WiFi) mode. The One (Gen 2), One SL and Port can now connect to 5GHz WiFi, if the correct SSID is configured into the system, so it would be worth seeing whether that helps.

I'll do that in a couple of days. Want to give the "playbar setup” a try now. 

(My SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz are the same)

Thanks again for all the help and pointers!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Have tested the wired setup the last couple of days. Even though the drops were significantly less, it didn't quite work out as hoped. (The drops occurred less and also the outage was less long, but still dropouts)

Just switched my entire network to wireless and removed the UTP cable from the playbar.

All devices now show WM:1, except the 2 surround speakers and the SUB, they show WM:2

I Will test this setup for some time and keep you all posted…

ps. Do I need to recalibrate now (eg trueplay tuning)?

Trueplay doesn't need to be redone. All that's changed is the network connection. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @ratty 

Can you provide a voice over on current network matrix?

How to interpret al the “green boxes” which turned into grey?

(Currently on WiFi connection instead of sonosnet)

The matrix is almost meaningless for WiFi mode, except that it still depicts the ambient RF conditions in the left column. There’s no SonosNet, hence there are no active SonosNet connections.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Understood. I literally have no idea what is causing the interference.

I have deactivated my Canary camera's, deactivated my HUE lights….but the interference remains

The only 'thing’ left broadcasting is my router (in bridge mode)

Any way I can get more detailed info from the playbar device which is reporting the interference? 

(As turning off every device in its proximity is not resolving anything)