Answered

Sonos Port: Wired connection but still music is interrupted

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I'm using a sonos port which is connected to my recordplayer. The Port is connected via a LAN cable to my router (Sonosnet channel 1) and the music has been set to compressed...and is played via multiple One's

Still I'm losing audio; The music sometimes is not played for 10-20 seconds before it starts playing again.

Also the sonos s2 app (on my Iphone) states that it can't connect to Sonos

Any idea how to resolve this? Eventhough sonos is wired, can it have something to do with my wifi?

icon

Best answer by ratty 24 October 2020, 12:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @svleuken.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community. I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Let me investigate this much further.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Done. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks for reaching out. Highly appreciated.

Btw: Have installed another (additional) access point in my living room (called woonkamer) in the meanwhile….as I was hoping that this would resolve the issues I'm experiencing

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @svleuken.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community and providing the diagnostic.

Try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router and access point. Once the router comes back up, plug your Sonos devices back in.

Also try to enable the wifi to the Sonos port.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Mark

Thanks for your quick reply. Would you be so kind to elaborate on why I should connect my Port wireless instead of wired? What will be the impact/added value of this? A wired connection, to me, seems more stable…

Could you also state what came out of the diagnostics?

BR

Sven

Your Port may be wired, but it appears that @Mark P is suggesting its radio (“WiFi”) has been disabled. Is that the case? If so its ability to talk to the Ones would be compromised.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Thanks for explaining. 

Looking at my port settings, the wifi is disabled. But I believe this is the setting to use to use a wired connection. Currently therefore this wifi setting is disabled, BUT the port is able to connect to my 3 sonos one players….as currently I'm listening to vinyl on my recordplayer :-)

BR

Sven

Go to Settings/System/(roomname)/Products/Port

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Checked it and WIFI is disabled….I believe the setting needs to be disabled in order to enable a wired connection. Currently listening to port sound, via my recordplayer, on my 3 sonos one products.

BR
Sven

I believe the setting needs to be disabled in order to enable a wired connection.

Incorrect. I don’t know where you got that idea from. You’ve killed its ability to be the ‘root’ node for the SonosNet wireless mesh. The signal from your Port is having to go a roundabout route through the router and out over WiFi to reach your Ones.

Re-enable “WiFi” -- it’s actually SonosNet, and is awfully misnamed -- in the controller and see how you get on. Wait 5 minutes and then check in Settings/System/About My System. All the devices should be showing “WM:0”.

If your playback problems go away, I’d advise you to remove your router’s WiFi details from the Sonos system, via Settings/System/Network. This will prevent a relapse. 

@ratty is, as always, correct.  Having this setting as 'disabled' is crippling the operation of your system. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty,

Thanks for explaining! I truly believed this was the way to connect via a LAN cable. Thanks for educating me. (Ps. I do agree with the awful misnaming)

Anyway: I've re-enabled Wifi and can confirm that all my Sonos items now show “WM:0”

I've also removed the wireless network settings. Currently, it shows that NO networks are in use.

I'll continue spinning records now for a while via the port and report out later

Thanks again for your help

Sven

I truly believed this was the way to connect via a LAN cable. Thanks for educating me. (Ps. I do agree with the awful misnaming)

I can assure you that you’re by no means the first to be confused by this option.

The setting to disable the onboard radio used to be a hidden one, primarily used by installers. Sonos brought it into the open, protecting it with some checks to ensure a user couldn’t accidentally disconnect a device, but for some reason got the naming totally wrong. 

And I have lost count of the number of times that @ratty , I and others have suggested that this causes needless hassle for users who understandably mistake its purpose. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks guys. Until now no hiccups occurred anymore. Will spin some more records,but this outlook is very very promising!

Try the Settings/System/Audio Compression setting on Uncompressed to improve the stream quality. If you subsequently suffer any dropouts you can increase the Audio Delay (and hence buffer depth) in Settings/System/(roomname)/Line-In.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Will do. And thanks again for your tremendous support

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Gents

I'm eternally grateful. Have applied all above tips and finally had set the audio delay to 2000ms.

After having all my Sonos artifacts being on WM:0, no dropouts have occurred anymore

Enjoying my lazy Sunday now, spinning record without any audio drops :-)

BR

Sven

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Ratty, thank you for the support that you have provided through the years. I recently added a SONOS Port and a Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB Turntable. I have been having issues with dropout when playing albums and am try all of the solutions that you have provided.

My SONOS system is a combination of wired and wireless through out the house. I have a total of three TP-LINK managed switches and I have STP configured on all SONOS and switch link ports per our previous discussions through the years.

The SONOS system has been stable until I added the PORT and Turntable.

I recently added a SONOS Port and a Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB Turntable. I have been having issues with dropout when playing albums and am try all of the solutions that you have provided.

You can either submit a diagnostic and post the number here or on your other recent thread, or post a screenshot of your network matrix from http://IP_address_of_a_player:1400/support/review and we’ll take a look. Get an IP from About My System.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Diagnostic Confirmation Number: 1889904531. Most of my SONOS system is wired with a few components connected via SONOS Net.

The Port is wired. Which room or rooms suffer dropouts when playing its Line-In? If dropouts occur in a wired player, which isn't grouped with anything else, then the wired network is the obvious place to look for issues.

Guest Playbase may be wired, but it’s in a pretty noisy location.

The Boost is doing nothing useful.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The Port is configured to start playing on the SONOS One “Wired” in the kitchen. I then group it to the SONOS Playbar “Wired” in the living room. The Playbar and Port are wired to a Managed TP-Link Ethernet Switch that has STP active on the ports configured for the Playbar, Port and the TP-LINK link port to another TP-LINK Managed Switches. All other wired SONOS components are connected to the master TP-LINK with STP configured on all SONOS ports. The Playbase in the guest bedroom has some components sitting on top of it (XFINITY Cable Box, ROKA, NetGear Media Streamer and a SONY Blueray Player). The Playbase is sitting in a SANUS TV stand wit the LG TV mounted above it. The SANIUS stand was made for the Playbase. The SONOS Play 5 is bout 10 feet from the Playbase and connects wirelessly. 

The BOOST is a holdover from my previous house and was used as the first connection to the router. We moved to a new house on 2017 and I had the house completely wired for Ethernet with CAT5E cable and have three TP-LINK managed switched located throughout the house. The Main 48 port switch is located in the Utility Room and a 8 Port switch is located in the family room. The third switch is located in my office and has no SONOS components connected to it. The SYNOLOGY NAS is connected to the office switch and is the main source of the music that is played in the house.  The PORT and Turntable were added as a 2020 XMAS present to my wife since she has a lot of vinyl records. It replaced a ZP-80 that originally had no external devices connected to it.

THANK you for t he quick response!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

STP Questions:

1. Should only the ports that have SONOS connected have STP configured?

2. I currently have the some ports on the Main TP-LINK switch that have other devices connected with STP configured. Whenever new devices are plugged it forces a reconfiguration of the network would this cause a dropout to occur?

3. The network has been stable since is was installed in 2017. I added the SONOS Port about six months ago and did not have any issues. I did not have any external devices connected to it. In December 2020 I finally received the AT-LP120XUSB turntable and ths is when the issues started.

It sounds like underlying problems only became obvious when you began using the Line-In, which is clearly more delay sensitive. If connecting new devices triggers a temporary network outage that could definitely be a possible cause. What kind of “reconfiguration” occurs? Try restricting STP to only those switch ports which face Sonos units (and other switches).