Answered

Sonos Port: Wired connection but still music is interrupted

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I'm using a sonos port which is connected to my recordplayer. The Port is connected via a LAN cable to my router (Sonosnet channel 1) and the music has been set to compressed...and is played via multiple One's

Still I'm losing audio; The music sometimes is not played for 10-20 seconds before it starts playing again.

Also the sonos s2 app (on my Iphone) states that it can't connect to Sonos

Any idea how to resolve this? Eventhough sonos is wired, can it have something to do with my wifi?

icon

Best answer by ratty 24 October 2020, 12:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

104 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Update:

Two weeks down the line and I have to say that switching my Sonos devices from Sonosnet to my own Wifi network definitely has improved my listening experience. Besides the ‘annoying’ fact that the Sonos app sometimes doesn't recognize all my sonos devices (even though they're playing music at that time) no drops outs have occurred anymore. The latter to me is more important than the app hickup (as after a minute or so, the app is working flawlessly again)

For some reason (I'm not a techy) my Wifi network seems to be way better performing than SonosNet.

Previous setup: One sonos device wired via LAN and SonosNET

Current setup: No sonos devices wired via LAN, all connected to my Wifi network

(I have 2 TPLINK routers in AP mode, broadcasting the same SSID, to which the sonos devices are connecting. Max distance Sonos device and AP is 5 meter)

Way back in this thread I suggested possible interferers. The change could also be as simple as a neighbour doing something different.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Rebooted all 7 SONOS devices all seems to be working again. (Hopefully for a very long uninterrupted time :-) )

Eventhough I haven't changed anything with regards to interference, the OFDM ANI level dropped from 9 (dark red) to 6 (orange). Any idea what would have caused this drop?

No idea, though the Line-In function would be separate from the playing function. Have you tried rebooting everything?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

It's getting stranger and stranger…

The line in (ingangsbron) is not found, but music is playing...as to be seen with the 3 vertical icons on the right

So I'm playing vinyl via the port (line in), even though the systems doesn't recognize the "draaitafel” (turn table)

So I'm completely lost now.

How can I play music via a device (port) which officially isn't know to the sonos app?

Connecting to wifi is getting worse and worse by the day. (The drop outs are almost gone, but operating the sonos via the app is almost undoable) (Randomly devices are disappearing as they're no longer seem to be connected/detected)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Understood. I misread the CAN'T use. My bad. Thanks for re claryfiyng. 

If SSID1 and SSID2 are the regular 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFis (not the guest one) it should work fine, as everything will be on the same IP subnet. There are a few routers which can cause trouble but they’re pretty rare.

As I say, the guest network is useless for Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Understood. So eventhough the iPHONE app would be on SSID 1, it is still able to control the SONOS devices which are on SSID 2?

You can't use a guest network. The whole point of a guest SSID is that it's isolated from the main network. 

It'll usually be on a different IP subnet, and/or have wireless client isolation to prevent devices from seeing one another. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I've already got a guest network available on my router. I believe this then also would do the trick
If i put kitchen on guest network ssid and the rest on the regular network, will the app, who'll be on the regular ssid, still be able to see the kitchen when this is on a different ssid?

Disconnected the kitchen one (L) from power for 30 sec and then plugged it back in. Both kitchen ones are now back on 2.4ghz and the problem seems resolved.

Could this have been the RCA? If both Ones are not on the same band (even though they're on the same SSID) that the app states that 'keuken'/kitchen was no longer properly configured?

It sounds like it. The system would much prefer the stereo pair to be on the same channel, as one can then communicate directly with the other rather than having to go via the router.

Maybe Sonos needs to do some additional work to address all this. Connection to 5GHz WiFi is a relatively new option, so perhaps this is a teething issue.

One option you could consider is to split your router bands, naming the 2.4GHz and 5GHz differently. Add both to your Sonos system and see if that makes any difference. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Disconnected the kitchen one (L) from power for 30 sec and then plugged it back in. Both kitchen ones are now back on 2.4ghz and the problem seems resolved.

Could this have been the RCA? If both Ones are not on the same band (even though they're on the same SSID) that the app states that 'keuken'/kitchen was no longer properly configured?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Nope. That's the strange thing
Both are of the same wifi (ssid) and both are in the 5ghz band
When i open the app on the iPhone today, all seems to be fine again. So also the iPhone shows the kitchen....

The iPad is okay? Is it on a different WiFi band to the iPhone? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

update: Opening the sonos app on my iPad is displaying "kitchen". Iphone doesnt seem to detect Sonos One (L) which is, together with Sonos One (R) forming the group "kitchen

The app on the iPad does see both Kitchen One's….as well as the "kitchen” group

That can’t be intended behaviour at all. Time to submit a diagnostic, post the number and get someone from Support to study the full system entrails. There’s nothing in the user-accessible info at /support/review which could help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Yup. It does. Also after a reboot/restart of my Iphone it keeps complaining.

But when I put on a vinyl record, autoplay is triggering “kitchen” to start playing and both sonos one's in the kitchen will play….but I cant control them as "kitchen”doesnt show up in the app.

So I have audio...but no control :-)

Does the app still complain if you force-stop it and restart? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @ratty 

The Sonos app is now stating that "Kitchen (keuken)” is not configured. When looking at the "status” it shows that the Sonos kitchen Left is on 5ghz while the Sonos kitchen Right is on 2.4ghz

Can this be causing the anomaly?

Thanks upfront for your help!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I believe it does as the dropouts are significantly less (read: not occurred so far) since I've switched from sonosnet to wifi

The port on 5ghz might be doing the trick

Well at least the Port has apparently connected to the 5GHz. That may help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Ok. Too bad.  (Even turning them off/on didn't change the chosen signal. Both remain on 2.4ghz)
But, again...Thanks for explaining. Really helpful and appreciated!

You can't force them. They'll just pick the best signal available. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Ratty

Thanks again. The ones in my kitchen are gen2. (one of the ones is a one SL)
Any idea how to switch those 2 ones to 5ghz
For the playbar I understand this is not possible

The Playbar satellites would be on 5GHz as they’re directly connected to it.

The Playbar itself and Ones -- assuming they’re gen 1 -- would have to be on 2.4GHz. The list of models which can use a 5GHz SSID is here:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126