Sonos Port / Surround Sound feature requests

A Sonos port (along with a suitable 3rd party external amplifier) should be able to setup with a Sonos Arc/Beam/etc used in lieu of the seemingly ALWAYS backordered Amp for Surround Sound. If it has to be Ethernet connected to the Sonos system or LAN, that is fine.

Along the same lines, would be nice to see a multi-room Port with 4 and/or 6 zones in a 2U chassis for Custom Integration. Each of the 4 or 6 zones would also be able to be commissioned in a Surround config.

7 replies

I imagine the logic for not doing this is similar to the logic for not allowing a Sub to be bonded with the Port. The amplification downstream of the Port is invisible to Sonos, so its level and EQ can’t be controlled.

‘Volume wars’ could result. Sonos possibly sees this as a potential support issue. They like to oversee the entire experience.

Ratty, your good points make me think of how most all AVR’s do the powered subwoofer calibration. For example, Denon, during Audyssey setup asks the user to set subwoofer gain to ½ setting and then proceeds to tune the room just fine. No volume wars presumed, just follow a simple procedure. The gain on an external amp downstream of the S. Port could be similarly requested and set. After that, Trueplay room calibration could be set.

You have every right to request this, but it's hard to see how the development required could ever be justified by the  increase in sales. If indeed there were such an increase.

A Sonos port (along with a suitable 3rd party external amplifier) should be able to setup with a Sonos Arc/Beam/etc used in lieu of the seemingly ALWAYS backordered Amp for Surround Sound. If it has to be Ethernet connected to the Sonos system or LAN, that is fine.

Why wouldn’t Sonos just work on the availability of the Amp, rather spend months developing a feature on a different product that will be obsolete once the Amp is back in stock?

Along the same lines, would be nice to see a multi-room Port with 4 and/or 6 zones in a 2U chassis for Custom Integration. Each of the 4 or 6 zones would also be able to be commissioned in a Surround config.

I think Sonos would rather just sell you 4-6 ports or amps than create an all in one device.  There is more flexibility there, since the amps don’t have to be centrally located, you aren’t paying for zones you may not need, and you can add zones easily as the need arises.  

You have every right to request this, but it's hard to see how the development required could ever be justified by the  increase in sales. If indeed there were such an increase.

Valid point JB. Thoughts: How would we know how much development is needed? Maybe it’s just a software tweak – if the hardware is already capable? Maybe it’s just a decision to do it, then program it in, then release an update?

Ratty, your good points make me think of how most all AVR’s do the powered subwoofer calibration. For example, Denon, during Audyssey setup asks the user to set subwoofer gain to ½ setting and then proceeds to tune the room just fine. No volume wars presumed, just follow a simple procedure. The gain on an external amp downstream of the S. Port could be similarly requested and set. After that, Trueplay room calibration could be set.

Even with the Sonos brand Amp, Trueplay is only possible with special “Made for Sonos” Sonance speakers.  I highly doubt Trueplay will be possible with a Port and external amplification (as it isn’t possible now).

If it was merely a ‘software tweak’, one could imagine that Sonos would have done so many years ago, as a marketing bonanza. It’s certainly been a request since TruePlay was released.