Answered

Sonos Port set up

• 6 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi there

I am new to this forum and have a question regarding the Sonos Port and set up. 

My set up idea is this….. 

To connect a turntable in to the Sonos Port, I understand I would use the ‘Analog Audio In’ RCA jacks. 

Then is it possible to stream the audio from the turntable to my Sonos Beam via wifi?

If i can stream the audio to my Sonos Beam would my turntable need to have a preamp as well? Or would I not require a preamp in this situation?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. The Sonos Port isn’t cheap and I don’t want to spend that kind of money on something that wont work in the way im hoping 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 July 2021, 19:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Your turntable would need a phono preamp to connect to the Port. Then you would connect the turntable to the Port’s line in RCA jacks.

To play the turntable music on the Beam, you would either group the Beam with the Port/turntable setup in the Sonos app or select the Beam as your speaker and choose the Line-In option under Browse.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3548?language=en_US

Thanks for that link and info. So it looks like it will work like i want it then, as long as the turntable has a preamp. 

Any ideas what the audio quality would be like when used in this way? I take it the Sonos Port’s DAC is decent quality and doesnt compress the audio too much?

You mean ADC. The Port digitises its Line-In at 16-bit / 44.1kHz and, so long as the Line-In config is set to Uncompressed, transmits this losslessly as WAV/PCM. No compression, and in particular no lossy compression. Your turntable’s signal will be preserved, warts and all.

Yes you are correct, i did mean ADC. 

Oh cool. If its not lossy that would be perfect. Looks like i better get saving. My Mrs wants a turntable and using it like this would be exactly what we need

Just a  thought, but the Amp and Five also have aux inputs that could be used with your turntable.  Yes, they are more expensive, but they come with other features that the Port doesn’t have that you may find useful.

I have just had a quick look at those suggestions.

The Amp would be my ultimate choice if i were going for a multi speaker setup in our front room. I personally would love that idea but the Mrs hates surround sound setups with a passion. So buying the Amp to only work with our Beam seems a bit over kill for our situation and like you say, more expensive. 

The Five would also work for what we want. We could use the Beam for the TV (as we currently do) and the Five for the music side of things. But then we would have 2 Sonos speakers in our front room. But our goal is to get the best system we can while minimising the gear we have. So we dont really want more than the one speaker system in the front room. 

So in our case, i think the best solution would be going for the Port. 

Thanks for your suggestions though. Always helpful opening my eyes to other possibilities i haven’t thought of