Answered

SONOS Port replacing ZP80

• 24 January 2020
  • 5 replies

I opted to replace my ZP80 that I feel like I’ve had forever and take advantage of the 30% off deal. Pretty simple configuration: The ZP80 was connected to my Denon AVR 4306 via the digital optical connector. I only used it to stream audio from SONOS to my Golden Ear speakers. So out with the ZP80, in with the Port, digital coax out to the Denon, retraining myself on assigning inputs on the Denon. It sounds awesome, me thinking there’s a definite difference in quality from the ZP80 set up. But I wonder….is that my $ rationalizing? Would analog out from the Port be a better option? Having gone full-on streaming long ago, the only other input into the Denon is a Blue-ray player so, unless I wanted multi-room FM audio, I can’t think of another use for the Port at this point. Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by chickentender 3 February 2020, 08:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Why not just pick up a coax to optical converter and not mess with the AVR.

Thanks Stanley. I didn’t do a good job describing my setup. My Denon AVR is, well, my AVR. I’ll ignore the video in the mix, not relevant. My Blu-ray, AppleTV,  and my new SONOS Port bringing in the streaming audio. That audio is now directed thru the digital coax input to the AVR. THE AVR directs that to my Golden Ear speakers attached to speaker outputs on my AVR, along with the sub output to my subwoofer. Nothing is broken, it sounds fantastic, just interested in perhaps better options. 

Bottom line, my AVR is the hub of my goesindas and goesoutas. The only optical component just got replaced on the Port by digital coax. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ah, any of the digital options are better than the analog.

I too was going to raise this question having traded up to a Port from Connect which had optical output to my receiver.  Would using a coax to optical converter be the way to go?  Would it lose quality and therefore you may as well just used the analogue inputs, or is digital always the better choice? Any thoughts?

I too was going to raise this question having traded up to a Port from Connect which had optical output to my receiver.  Would using a coax to optical converter be the way to go?  Would it lose quality and therefore you may as well just used the analogue inputs, or is digital always the better choice? Any thoughts?

@Mr_T   You won’t have any quality degradation converting optical to coax, no.
You may want to just try one out and see how like the sound as compared to direct RCA connections. 
Those converters are inexpensive. Another option is to just go with the newer model Connect and not fuss over having to convert at all since it retains both options. For most users, the Port only provides Airplay2 as a bonus to the Connect.