Answered

Sonos Port: no "start" button?

Badge +1

On my other Sonos Plays, I use the top button to restart the previous service/music that I was listeting to. Way more convenient/faster than using the iOS app…

No such trick on the Port without any button on this box, right?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 7 January 2020, 15:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi User573051

You are correct. There are no touch controls on the port. I suspect the thinking was that the Port would be bringing Sonos audio to a device with it’s own volume/play/pause controls.

The exception being a Turn Table (with built-in or external pre-amp) connected via the Ports RCA-in using powered speakers via the Ports RCA-out. However, some powered speakers have a volume remote.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

On my other Sonos Plays, I use the top button to restart the previous service/music that I was listeting to. Way more convenient/faster than using the iOS app…

Ikea has a wireless remote that will work with Port to give play/pause/volume /next/previous (almost like the two planned it this way )

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/symfonisk-sound-remote-white-20370482/

Badge +1

This Ikea remote will work with all Sonos devices?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7

Ikea has a wireless remote that will work with Port to give play/pause/volume /next/previous (almost like the two planned it this way )

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/symfonisk-sound-remote-white-20370482/

@User573051 

Please let us know how well the Ikea solution works and if it’s simple to setup. Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

This Ikea remote will work with all Sonos devices?

Thanks.

As far as I know, haven't tried it (yet) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Does anyone know if the Ikea remote reploicates the “press and hold to join another playing speaker” funtionality of the play/pause button on real Sonos kit.

I am replacing my connect with a port (grrrr) and will miss that feature particularly.

Use-case - watching TV, with sound ont he Sonos beam. Go into the kitchen to make a drink or snack and quickly hold the button to group to the TV so I can follow along whilst out of the room.

It’d be good to know if I can regain this functionality with the Ikea puck?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Arrived here via another post that was asking about this. Got my Ikea remotes today but haven’t set up yet. Hold to join would be a great addition if its not there already. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Mine are setup.  It does not perform the grouping function.

Sadface.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Mine are setup.  It does not perform the grouping function.

Sadface.

Yes I tested this morning and found the same. Would definitely be a welcome addition and make these even more attractive.

Off topic - I love my Ikea remotes so far, was even impressed by how well organised the Ikea hub was with cable management etc. Only downside is the remotes are far too inviting to touch - already fidgettedwith one and turned the volume right up. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Very very disappointed that there is no way to use “press and hold to join another playing speaker” functionality on Sonos Port. It is the reason I don’t buy it.