Sonos Port control for Denon AVR-X4700 and similar

• 16 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 13 replies

I know most of the people will say , get harmony remote , use the Denon app or even smart plug but i want to be able to turn on my sonos port via the sonos app and make my denon turn on and set it up to the right input (CD in my case) automatically . trying to convert 12V trigger (from sonos port) to IR command (to Denon receiver) seems to be challenging and the only project i saw requires you to be an engineer. I finally tried to look into HTTP commands and saw that Sonos support IFTTT but only as “That” part in the code and you can’t create any macros or scripts that will trigger if the Sonos port is on. 

Here is my question: Anyone here knows how to build raspberry pi server which will be able to “listen” to local network and once the sonos port turns on it will execute a simple HTTP command to turn on the Denon?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Maybe see if Logitech’s Harmony Hub can achieve this for you with a user created ‘activity’ - the Hub’s compatibility checker shows both manufacturer devices mentioned are supported.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

If it works, it means you can activate both devices with the Alexa/Google assistant aswell, by adding the Harmony Skill to either/both of those services, thats in addition to using a remote or the Harmony App on a mobile device.

There is a Sonos API and you can find more information about it here   There are some users who have done some work in creating a PI interface (paging @chicks ) but I don’t know that anyone has used Pi to detect and trigger an event like this.  Although I don’t know that t would be terribly complicated.   From what I understand your Pi can periodically ping the Port to see if it’s playing audio...or something like that.

Worth noting that Onkyo/Pioneer is in the Works with Sonos  program, and they have some receivers that will do exactly what you’re wanting your Denon to do, in addition to volume control through the Sonos app.  The program has been around for a while though, and I don’t know how well it works personally.

Badge

Found an app called denon widget. In 1 press it will turn on the denon and switch it to sonos (CD) INPUT. It saves time dealing with the unsuccessful denon app but still not a perfect solution.  Hope to hear @Chicks take on this , if I can make the pi ping the port every second and trigger command once port is on or off it will be a dream :) . Tnx

There is a Sonos API and you can find more information about it here   There are some users who have done some work in creating a PI interface (paging @chicks ) but I don’t know that anyone has used Pi to detect and trigger an event like this.  Although I don’t know that t would be terribly complicated.   From what I understand your Pi can periodically ping the Port to see if it’s playing audio...or something like that.

Worth noting that Onkyo/Pioneer is in the Works with Sonos  program, and they have some receivers that will do exactly what you’re wanting your Denon to do, in addition to volume control through the Sonos app.  The program has been around for a while though, and I don’t know how well it works personally.