Answered

Sonos Port - Can't Adjust Volume on Onkyo

• 30 December 2019
  • 17 replies

Badge

I’ve got a Sonos Port setup with my Onkyo 585.  This is a Works With Sonos reciever.

Issue 1: When I go to the “Works With Sonos” setting on the Onkyo, it says “No Sonos Connect Found”.  I don’t have a Connect, I have a Port.  Both the Onkyo and the Port are on the same WiFi network.  How do I get my Onkyo to recognize my Port?

Issue 2:  When I play something through the Port, I can’t adjust the volume on the Onkyo.  When i put the setting on Variable I get no sound.  When i put the setting on Fixed, i get sound through the Onkyo, but it’s fixed at a setting of 51 (that i set) but i can’t adjust it with the Onkyo knob or remote.  How can I adjust the volume when using the Port?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 23 March 2020, 18:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Did you ever get this resolved? 
I’m having the same issue of no sound thru my onkyo 686

Badge

No

I updated the firmware on the Onkyo and I got it to recognize the Port (so I linked them in the Onkyo settings - they are on the same WiFi network).

However, when playing sound through the Port (for example, my turntable that is connected to the Port), I can not use the Onkyo to control the volume of the hardwired surround speakers in that room.  There’s a setting where you put the volume at a static number and that is the volume (no ability to adjust).  I have the Sonos app set for FIXED (which is what all the manuals say should allow me to use the receiver remote to control the sound), but no luck.  

Very painful for all this high end gear to behave this way.

Please let me know if you find the fix.

Hi @MRD291 

Since you still weren't able to get in contact with Onkyo, I would like for you to send us a diagnostic and reply back with the confirmation number so we can make sure everything is configured properly. I also want to know if you tried to reach out to the Onkyo Community page to see if other customers have any solutions for this particular receiver.

Badge

I updated the Onkyo - still can’t control the Sonos Port volume via the receiver.

Any additional thoughts?

Badge

David C -

Has there been a recent Onkyo firmware update for the 585 that allows you to control the volume of the Sonos Port with the Oknyo receiver remote?

If so, when did the firmware update come out?

Thanks

Badge

I never found a solution.  Cant believe this high end equipment behaves this way.  Onkyo/Sonos should address this issue - you and I are not the only ones.

I’ve sent a message to Onkyo but they don’t reply, just say contact them through their site which I do. And they say contact them through their site again. Around and around and around.

Hey guys, I would like for you to confirm that you have the Fixed audio selected and that you have upgraded the latest firmware of your receivers. I also would recommend that you go onto this link to the common troubleshooting steps to look for when not getting sound from the Sonos Port/ Connect.

If you are still having issues, you may need to get in contact with Onkyo support to see if they have any setting that has to be made on the receiver.

Badge

Hi David -

I have verified that I have the Sonos setting on Fixed.  I updated both the Port and the Onkyo receiver to the latest firmware (at this point, however, this was probably two months ago when I set everything up).

Has there been a recent firmware update to the Port or to the Onkyo 585 Receiver (that you’re aware of)?

Are you saying that I should indeed be able to control my Sonos Port volume with my Onkyo 585 remote?

Thanks
MD

Userlevel 2

When you are using “works with Sonos” you set the receiver at a fixed volume during set up.  Once done the volume is ONLY CONTROL-ABLE via the Sonos app.  The receiver volume will not control the Sonos Port volume.  So set the fixed volume pretty high….you can always lower it with the Sonos app etc

That “sorta” makes sense but not really.  Has anyone solved this by changing something on their Onkyo device and if so, could you please relay the menu steps to get there?  Much appreciated!

The above reply is exactly correct. Set receiver volume during set up then ONLY the SONOS APP to subsequently control volume during playback

Hello @MRD291 

Thank you for checking those settings. The issue may be addressed in a firmware update from Onkyo. We’ll provide an update if we have any to share.

Badge

I did post this to the Onkyo forum - no responses (been over a month).

i will send a diagnostic - it appears that i use the Sonos App for that, correct?

submit a system diagnostic.

I have the Connect and the Onkyo tx-nr787 and my volume is stuck at Preset vol.1, #47. The Sonos app will not let the volume go any higher or the Onkyo Receiver. Not sure what to do. Hell?

When you are using “works with Sonos” you set the receiver at a fixed volume during set up.  Once done the volume is ONLY CONTROL-ABLE via the Sonos app.  The receiver volume will not control the Sonos Port volume.  So set the fixed volume pretty high….you can always lower it with the Sonos app etc

I thought I heard you had to use your Sonos app to adjust the volume rather than the receivers volume control. --?