Answered

Sonos Port

• 10 October 2019
  • 7 replies

Is it possible to use two Sonos Port in the same network?

Can i install a network cable into the wireless routers lan port from one Sonos Port (1) and install a network cable from Sonos Port (1) to the other Sonos Port (2) lan port? I want to connect two coaxial digital out into tow different dac?
icon

Best answer by ratty 10 October 2019, 17:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Is it possible to use two Sonos Port in the same network?
Yes, a system can contain up to 32 devices.

Can i install a network cable into the wireless routers lan port from one Sonos Port (1) and install a network cable from Sonos Port (1) to the other Sonos Port (2) lan port?

As a daisy-chain? Yes, two devices will be fine. It's usually best not to chain more than three Sonos devices in a line.

You'd also possibly want to disable the radio in one or other Port. Assuming you don't have any wireless Sonos devices needing a connection you could even disable the radios on both Ports.
Badge

I attempted this but when I added the 2nd port it caused havoc. First I couldn’t get it added over Wifi, I had to wire it to Ethernet to get it added.  Rooms would disappear and reappear, the controller would hang when attempting to update software once I unplugged the 2nd port all went back to normal. Both ports were connected via Ethernet but not daisy chained. Any ideas why the 2nd port caused so much trouble?  Anyone got his to work?

You probably have an STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) issue in your switch(es) or router. 

Ironically this wouldn't have arisen had you daisy chained the two Ports together. 

Badge

Thanks for your response. Can you help me get this straightened out?  Should I factory reset port 2 then daisy chain it to port 1 and then add it to the system? Or is there another way to get the system to forget it in order to start over from the beginning. 2nd question: Port 1 is the only Sonos component which is wired. I have the wireless disabled on port 1. Should I keep it wired but enable wireless in order to get it to utilize boost mode or does it still do that even if it’s wireless is disable. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.  

Badge

Clarification; I don’t have a boost or a bridge. When I say “boost mode” I guess I really mean Sonos net   

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for your response. Can you help me get this straightened out?  Should I factory reset port 2 then daisy chain it to port 1 and then add it to the system? Or is there another way to get the system to forget it in order to start over from the beginning. 2nd question: Port 1 is the only Sonos component which is wired. I have the wireless disabled on port 1. Should I keep it wired but enable wireless in order to get it to utilize boost mode or does it still do that even if it’s wireless is disable. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.  

You don’t need to factory reset the second port just to change how it’s connected, assuming it’s already been successfully added to the system.

You need to enable wireless on any Sonos device in order for its wireless radio to function. It won’t operate in ‘Boost mode’ until you do this.

Badge

Thanks so much for your help!  Daisy chaining port 2 to port 1 seems to have done the trick. And, no need to reset the new port 2. I did disable the wireless on port2 but enabled it on port 1 in order to get the system to utilize Sonos net (hopefully).