Answered

Sonos Port 12V trigger into Yamaha amp

• 20 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

hello.

Can anyone here advise please.

Purchased a sonos Port , but my old Yamaha DSP 590 amplifier dosent have a trigger on it. Is there a workaround for solution for this please.

Thanks 

Graham 

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 20 February 2021, 23:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @wasteman2013

Welcome to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you. The Sonos Port has a 12V trigger output with a current rating of 200mA that can be connected to an amplifier with a 12V trigger input. This brings an amplifier out of standby mode when the music starts playing, reducing the time it takes for the amplifier to become active and start outputting audio to your speakers. Are you experiencing an audio issue with your Sonos Port? If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. We’ll wait for your reply.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello  and thanks for the reply.

The issue is my existing amplifier. It does not have an outlet on it marked trigger as its an older model. 

Do you know if there is a different outlet on the back of the Yamaha amplifier that will double as a 12 volt outlet .

Thnaks 

Graham

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hello  and thanks for the reply.

The issue is my existing amplifier. It does not have an outlet on it marked trigger as its an older model. 

Do you know if there is a different outlet on the back of the Yamaha amplifier that will double as a 12 volt outlet .

Thnaks 

Graham

Graham - you seem to misunderstand the purpose of a 12V trigger. It’s an output on a signal source (in this case the Port) that connects to a 12V trigger input on an amplifier. When the Port applies 12V to the trigger input on an amplifier, it will power itself on.

At may be easiest to ask: what are you trying to achieve with a 12V outlet from your Yamaha amplifier?