Answered

Sonos Port 12V Trigger

• 30 October 2019
  • 28 replies

Hi there - does anybody know how the 12V trigger logic works on the Port i.e. once it outputs audio trigger on - when no audio trigger off - any delays etc.

Kind regards, Emil

icon

Best answer by buzz 4 December 2019, 04:12

View original

28 replies

When I tested the port, after the music stops playing the 12v trigger turns off exactly 2 minutes later

Anybody been able to control prower on of Onkyo amplifiers with the Port 12v trigger?  Using a Xantech connection block has not worked for me.  I would appreciate any tips. thanks.

Same question -- but with Marantz (NR1607). Any chance I can use the 12v trigger with it?

ElGuapo34,

No, the 12V trigger on the NR1607 is an output that can be used to control other devices connected to the receiver.

Jacfucious,

I don’t know which ONKYO you have. Typically, receivers will not respond to a 12V trigger. Amplifiers may respond to a 12V trigger input from PORT.

Thanks for replying! Bummer; I probably wouldn’t have bought mine (and traded my old Connect in) if I had known it wasn’t going to work with my receiver.

Userlevel 1

I intend to use one of these to power my amp on/off using the 12V trigger from the port. 

AUDIOPHONICS Trigger 12V 230V Slave Power Supply Device

Assume this will work and the amp will power off 2 mins after music stops as per reply above?

Badge +1

Just to be clear on this trigger topic: my Sonos Port would be able to switch on/off my amplifier if I have a trigger in input, right?

I think I am out of luck with my Arcam A90...

Userlevel 1

Yes if your amp has a 12v trigger input it will do this but…… if your amp is like my Denon amp and does NOT have this input then the device I mention above will do the trick. Effectively you leave the amp switched on the and the trigger effectively switches on the mains supply. When you stop the music the relay opens after 2 mins and switches of the mains supply and thereby the amp. Works perfectly for me  

I just purchased a Port and connected it to Rotel RB1572 amplifier.  I have tried both stereo and mono cables, the trigger mode on the amp is “On”, and the cable is plugged into the “in” port on the amp.  The power switch for the amp is “On”.  The trigger from the Port does not turn off the amp as it should after 2 minutes.  Any suggestions? 

I just purchased a Port and connected it to Rotel RB1572 amplifier.  I have tried both stereo and mono cables, the trigger mode on the amp is “On”, and the cable is plugged into the “in” port on the amp.  The power switch for the amp is “On”.  The trigger from the Port does not turn off the amp as it should after 2 minutes.  Any suggestions? 

Does this assist at all?…

http://rotel.com/faq/what-purpose-12-volt-trigger-switch

Yes, thanks.  I saw that.  I now think it is working.  The blue LED around the main power button apparently stays lit in the standby mode.  I hear it clicking off after 2 minutes.  Thanks!

I want to connect (3) PORTs to a 6-channel power amplifier that has only one 12V trigger input. Can I parallel all three triggers to this one trigger input? Do I have to use diode isolation?

I want to connect (3) PORTs to a 6-channel power amplifier that has only one 12V trigger input. Can I parallel all three triggers to this one trigger input? Do I have to use diode isolation?

Hi Roy, I had the same question.  I’ve read on other home audio forums that you should include a diode on the positive lead in case the other SONOS don’t like voltage being fed back into them (my non tech explanation), suggested something like the 1N4001 diode.

I thought I had an issue with this but it turns out the issue was just me.  I have a Rotel digital amp that I thought was not being triggered by the Port because an indicator light stayed on.  It turns out the light is a standby light.  Listening carefully, I could detect the Port switching the amp of exactly 2 minutes later as it is supposed to. I can’t speak to whether it works with a receiver, but if the amp has a 12 V input switch, it works exactly like it should.  Great product. 

I like the idea of using isolation diodes in series with each 12V trigger. Any of the 1N400x diodes would be fine for this application. They are readily available, inexpensive, and relatively rugged. I recommend soldering all of the connections and enclosing the network in a discarded pill bottle. The banded ends of the diodes are connected together and to the amplifier. Make sure that there are no short circuits. You could build the network on a small printed circuit board if you are a neat freak. I would tend to build a little 3-D mess, then apply a glob of silicone rubber to keep wires from touching each other.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is an interesting thread. If I understand this right, the trigger is generally used to power on an amp since the receiver‘s trigger is usually an out. 

If that’s the case, is it expected that the Connect/Port can be connected directly to the amp in lieu of a pre-amp?

Might be able to save me a bunch of money, because I’ve only intended the Sonos to be my sole input. Although… that will put more emphasis on the built-in DAC since my original plan was to use the Sonos as a transport. 

A 12V trigger output is power limited and used strictly for control.

PORT will accept line level audio input. By this I mean a Tuner, Cassette Deck, CD player, etc., not direct magnetic Phono cartridge output. A magnetic Phono Cartridge would need some sort of pre-amp to bring its output up to line level.

Yes, PORT can be used for transport to other SONOS units and as input to an amplifier that accepts line level analog input or digital audio input.

Userlevel 1
Badge

A 12V trigger output is power limited and used strictly for control.

PORT will accept line level audio input. By this I mean a Tuner, Cassette Deck, CD player, etc., not direct magnetic Phono cartridge output. A magnetic Phono Cartridge would need some sort of pre-amp to bring its output up to line level.

Yes, PORT can be used for transport to other SONOS and as input to an amplifier that accepts line level analog input or digital audio input.

Thanks buzz, so sounds like I can use the port to turn my amp on and save some money by skipping the pre-amp since the port is going to be the only source device (no phono, cd, or anything else for me!)

can always add a pre-amp later if I decide to hook more stuff up, or get a better dac, or start playing with tubes. 

Hi all, I built the following box with 6 inputs for the 12v output from the Sonos and one output to the amp, using diodes inside to protect the Sonos.  My amp had signal detect, i.e. it would turn on when it detected audio on an input but I found often watching TV the amp would turn off because the audio was too low and I also found the amp slow to turn on especially for music tracks with quiet starts. 
With the 12v input it now works perfectly and turns on within seconds.  My distribution amp is the Rotel RMB-1512

Hi all, I built the following box with 6 inputs for the 12v output from the Sonos and one output to the amp, using diodes inside to protect the Sonos.  My amp had signal detect, i.e. it would turn on when it detected audio on an input but I found often watching TV the amp would turn off because the audio was too low and I also found the amp slow to turn on especially for music tracks with quiet starts. 
With the 12v input it now works perfectly and turns on within seconds.  My distribution amp is the Rotel RMB-1512

Nice Solution!

This is great. I have the same challenge with a 6-zone set-up on the Rotel RMB-1512, but couldn’t find any kind of hub for the triggers coming off the Ports. Seems that a commercial solution doesn’t exist. Does your box also limit the output voltage going to your amp when you have multiple Ports sending a trigger simultaneously? 

Did you end up getting this to work? Trying to do the same with my Rotel RA-12 and having no luck. 

The RA-12 does not support being controlled by a 12V trigger. The RA-12’s trigger output could be used to control external equipment.

Badge +4

My NAD C326BEE Stereo Integrated Amplifier has a “12V trigger out,” described in the manual as follows,

+12V TRIGGER OUT: The +12V TRIGGER OUT is used for controlling
external equipment that is equipped with a +12V trigger input. This
output will be 12V when the C 326BEE is ON and 0V when the unit is
either OFF.

Am I right in assuming that the Port’s 12V trigger will not control this amp because the amp has only a “trigger out”?

Thanks.

I intend to use one of these to power my amp on/off using the 12V trigger from the port. 

AUDIOPHONICS Trigger 12V 230V Slave Power Supply Device

Assume this will work and the amp will power off 2 mins after music stops as per reply above?

Malkie52, did you purchase the Audiophonics trigger? If so, did it work and how long did it take to receive the item?