Question

Sonos playbar not working with tv anymore?

• 2 December 2016
  • 5 replies

Hyee. I'm asking this question for a friend of mine who barely knows how to start up a pc so i do all his tech related stuff a few months a go we installed a sonos system inculding a playbar connected to his LG smart tv and multiple smaller sonos speakers and a sub spread arround the house, initialy everything worked great and he was very satisfied with everything only recently the playbar suddenly stopped playing audio from the tv so he contacted me to takze a look.
What i have already found out and tried;
- resetting the playbar
- unplgging and reconnecting the power and optical cables leading from the tv to the playbar
- playing music via the wifi works perfectly
- switching between audiosettings on the tv itself (litterly tried every possible setting)
i did a diagnose via the sonos app the number of the diagnose is : 6812320
Hope u guys could maybe tell me where the problem is .
my thoughts where
- defect optical cable ( he has cats those things can break everything)
- wireless interference of other devices like the network printer maybe?

thanks in advance.
english is my 3d language so please go easy on me grammar nazi's

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Wow. I wish I had such command of a third language!

Wireless interference would be likely to cause problems with everything EXCEPT the TV sound.

The diagnostic should help. You ought to try another cable because that is a possibility.

As an experiment, do you have a DVD player, say, that you could try running the cable from to the Playbar?

I think it is true to say that if the cable is active then if it is plugged in at the TV end but not the other end, then there will be a red light at the other end. WARNING - I have read that it is not a good idea to look directly down the cable end to check, as it may be harmful to the eye. Don't know if that is true but I wouldn't do it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Double check the TV sound settings and make sure it's pointing to optical out etc.
Double check the TV sound settings and make sure it's pointing to optical out etc.
Yes worth another check. Automatic TV software updates have been known to reset things, unhelpfully.
Wow. I wish I had such command of a third language!

Wireless interference would be likely to cause problems with everything EXCEPT the TV sound.

The diagnostic should help. You ought to try another cable because that is a possibility.

As an experiment, do you have a DVD player, say, that you could try running the cable from to the Playbar?

I think it is true to say that if the cable is active then if it is plugged in at the TV end but not the other end, then there will be a red light at the other end. WARNING - I have read that it is not a good idea to look directly down the cable end to check, as it may be harmful to the eye. Don't know if that is true but I wouldn't do it.

Thx for the fast reply im deffinetly going to try out connecting a different device to the playbar to check if the cable still works, cause i'd love to just swap cables to check but i dont have a optical cable in reserve anywhere. I already read a post about the red light and ll be checking that out to.
One thing to watch out for in your test is that you'd be better off using a DVD than a Blu-ray disk. Many Blu-rays use DTS audio which will produce silence if piped direct into the Playbar, which would sabotage the experiment.