Answered

Sonos Play/Five line in issue.

• 12 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Good day and please forgive me if this has already been answered. 

I recently purchased a Sonos Play and a Sonos Five.  The Play is used to bring in audio from a CD player.  When I first set up the system, the devices sensed that the CD was playing and automatically broadcast audio from the line-in.  Recently, something changed and I now have to go into the app and specify the line-in as audio source. Otherwise I get no audio. To my knowledge, I’ve changed nothing, but clearly, something is different.

Thoughts, suggestions, please…

Thanks in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by Glen T 18 November 2020, 23:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Glen T.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!
Congratulations in having new Sonos products, I’d be glad to help and get this figured out.

To better understand, kindly verify what specific type of Sonos unit you have aside from the Sonos Five? (is it Play:1, Play:3, or Play:5) 

I’d like to check some data on your system, can you please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number, I’d start by reviewing your system and the status of the devices as well.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or run into any issues, we’re always here to help.

Judging by the OP's profile, he means a Port.

Question for @Glen T  - does your Port (if that is what you have) run a conventional hifi or is it just used to bring the CD audio into the system?

Good morning,

Thanks for people replying and I apologize for my error in the original email.  I do have a Port as well as a Five.  

The Port is used to to bring CD audio into the system.  The connector supplied by Sonos is plugged into the CD player’s outputs and then feeds to the “line in” inputs on the Port.  Wireless output from the Port is sent to the single Five speaker.

I am not sure what you mean by running a “conventional hifi”. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

The purpose of the Port is to turn a conventional hifi amplifier and speakers into a Sonos player. If you are using the Port just for the line in I have to ask why you aren't just using the line in on your Five for the CD player?

The issue is distance and configuration of the room.  Putting everything in one spot isn’t an option.  

To be clear, the system is functional, I’ve seen a change in how I need to play with settings every time I use the system to get the Five speaker to recognize the output from the Port.  Thanks.

Which settings do you need to play with?

Do you have the Autoplay room for the line in set to your Five 'room'?

I would suggest having it set that way and do not group your two rooms

The issue is distance and configuration of the room.  Putting everything in one spot isn’t an option.  

To be clear, the system is functional, I’ve seen a change in how I need to play with settings every time I use the system to get the Five speaker to recognize the output from the Port.  Thanks.

If your problem is still happening, maybe try this…

Goto the Sonos App "Settings/System/[Port Room Name]” and in ‘Autoplay’ select your Sonos Five Room Name and then (if required) set an Autoplay volume by switching on that feature and using the slider bar to select a desired level. The Autoplay volume is an optional feature. 

If you discover you already have an Autoplay room selected, then try toggling it to ‘None’ (No Room), saving that setting ...and then return to Autoplay and once again select the Sonos Five Room and save it again. 

See if that resolves your issue.

As John B mentions, you don’t need to autoplay to ‘grouped rooms’ if your Port is not currently outputting to a Receiver/Speakers.

Thank you for the suggestions.  

I will fuss with the system tomorrow and get let you know.  I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks for your help.  Resetting Autoplay seems to have solved the issue.