Sonos outdoor by sonance vs Sonance Mariner

• 11 October 2021
  • 2 replies

I see a few questions about whether the sonos outdoor speaker is better than the Sonance Mariner series. I had the same questions as the speakers look pretty much identical. 

I called Sonance technical support about this. I was told the sonos product is a “lower end” product. The woofer, for example, uses lower quality items than the Sonance equivalent (I can’t remember exactly what was said, but the construction of the woofer uses a lower quality material, among other technical differences). 

I ended up going with the mariner 86 as it was pretty close to the same money for a much higher end speaker (albeit a bit bigger). 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

So in layman’s terms, by getting the sonos outdoor set instead of the Sonance mariners you get:

1. Worse construction;
  2. no trueplay (trueplay only works for the  indoor architecturals);
  3. significantly more expensive for a lower end Sonance speaker; and
  4. can run 3 instead of 2 pair of the Sonance.  This is done by limiting the output when it detects the sonos version. 

For the outdoor speakers, the one thing you’re losing is the ability to use connect 3 pair of the sonos/sonance speakers to a single amp, without an impedence matching switch.  For the in ceiling/wall sonos/sonance speakers, you also gain the ability to do trueplay tuning.