Answered

sonos outdoor amp

• 10 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Hello,

i am gonna extend my Sonos system with outdoor speakers and amp. From what i see it have to be installed with cabel between amp and the speakers ..?

is the amp waterproof then ao we can leave it on the yard ? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 August 2020, 18:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No, the Sonos Amp is not rated for installation outside. You’d want to install it inside, and run the speaker wires to your outside speakers. 

Okej, i guess to both speakers? 
then i have find other solution. It’s gonna be to long wire otherwise 🤷🏻‍♂️

You’re going to limit your options if you want an amp that can be left outside.  Not even sure I’ve seen one before, but perhaps something that’s marine grade.

You can use long speaker cable lengths if you use a think enough gauge.  I have a run of close to 75’ with 14 gauge. You can get enclosures for the amp that will allow you to mount it outside and keep it properly cooled and protected from the elements.  Just google ‘Sonos amp outdoor enclosure’.  Just make sure that where ever the amp is placed, it’s with wireless range of your other Sonos products or WiFi network.

Okej thanks🙏
i decided to go further with other brands and solutions for outside. 

Hi Everyone,

Installed a new pool and need some help on hooking up speakers around the pool area. The Sonos Amp (new version) specs say it supports a load of 4 to 8 ohms but also says you can hook up 3 pairs (6 speakers total) of Sonos Architectural outdoor speakers...is there a reason that other brand outdoor “architectural” speakers cannot be used in place of the Sonos/Sonance ones assuming they are also 8 ohm?

Am also confused on 3 pairs of 8 ohm speakers vs the spec listing of supporting 4 to 8 ohm load...wouldn’t 3 sets of 8 ohm speakers be a 2.67 ohm load to the Amp? Is that still OK to run the amp down to that ohm load despite the specs saying 4 to 8 ohm? If I have say 3 pairs of NON-Sonos brand speakers that are 8 ohms each/same specs as Sonos ones, how would the Amp know if the speakers are Sonos brand or other brand? Am confused here on what the specs mean. 

I have 2 Sonos Amps (both new versions) and am wanting to run 3 pairs of speakers off each amp for a total of 6 pairs of speakers, all 8 ohm outdoor speakers (mix of wall mount, landscape mount and rock type). 

Also, since I have 2 Sonos Amps, am I able to have a subwoofer hooked up to each Amp and have them both play at the same time?