Sonos new product request - Sonos TV transmitter for toslink

• 19 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I believe SONOS could have a very popular item by making a SONOS transmitter for TVs.

In simple terms take the soundbar electronics and toslink interface and package this as a SONOS tv transmitter.  Use a USB interconnect for the power supply and have a nice small package that could fit behind wall mounted TVs. 

I would like to use the SONOS speakers for my TV but do not wish to have a SONOS soundbar in the mix.

This would seem to offer another way for SONOS to bring users to the family of products.

If there is something that already does this please let me know.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The Sonos Amp?

Why toslink and not HDMI-ARC or eARC?  Also, I doubt USB would be able to provide enough power for this.  And you would not want to use the TVs USB port anyway since that is not an always on port.

I’m not against the idea, but I have my doubts about it’s feasibility.  For one, Sonos existing HT products only bond with 3 other speakers (2 surrounds and sub).  If you had a device without a speaker, it would need to bond with 5 speakers (2 front, 2 surround, and sub).  I would think that would atleast be a signicant about of testing before releasing to the public. 

Then there is the question of whether there is a big enough market  for this, and whether it could be priced for profit to justify it.  Perhaps if the device was a center channel speaker built in, since many people will want that, then it makes more sense.