Answered

Sonos new AMP. Mix old speakers with Sonos Ones, possible?

• 9 March 2019
  • 1 reply

Hello all,
I tried searching within the community before asking but didn't not find what I was looking for.

I would like to mix and match, old set of speakers/sub with new Sonos Ones to create a 4.1 or 5.1 Theater system.

I have an old Boston Acoustic 10'' sub which I would like to keep. And I would like to connect it all via a new Sonos AMP.

1) Can I have two Sonos Ones connected to the AMP and keep my Boston Acoustic Sub (instead of purchasing a Sonos Sub)?

2) Can I plug in two in-Ceiling (Klipsch) to the complete setup. Hence giving me a 4.1 effect or 5.1?

Basically does my Sub become obsolete or still useful in this kinda of setup?

Thank you for the ideas and opinions.

Stefan
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 March 2019, 22:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

1) You can have the two Sonos Ones as rear surround speakers, when using the Sonos Amp to power your own speakers up front. However, you can only have a pair of front speakers, there is no provision for a center speaker. It does create a phantom center speaker for you. And in this usage, the port for the subwoofer remains active, as long as that Boston Acoustic is self powered.

2) Not sure what these would be for. Are you considering these the surround speakers? If so, no this wouldn't work. When the Amp is used to power surround speakers, it must be getting a signal from either another Amp in front, or a Sonos soundbar of some ilk. And when used to power surround speakers, the subwoofer output is turned off.