Sonos needs to supply headphones or ways to hook up wireless headphones

• 12 September 2015
  • 38 replies

headphones

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

"Needs to supply headphones"? Why, just go and buy some. You can "hook" up any headphones, wireless or otherwise, to a Sonos unit with a line out or headphone socket (so Connect or play:5).
Badge
Play:5 doesn't have a headphone jack socket any more. Line Out on Connect isn't suitable to drive headphones. So, without using Connect and an external amp, there's no way to use headphones. 😞
Play:5 doesn't have a headphone jack socket any more. Line Out on Connect isn't suitable to drive headphones. So, without using Connect and an external amp, there's no way to use headphones. :(

If you're serious about headphones you'll be using a headphone amp anyway, and the line-out on the Connect is perfect for that.
Userlevel 1
I love my SONOS!!!! Great product, Great Support and Great company!!!!! The only fault I see is why no SONOS wireless headphones? While I love my theater quality sound when I watch TV my family does not have the same appreciation when I am watching a late night movie or Monday Night Football.

There are so many reasons I can think of that would be nice to put on a SONOS wireless headphones:
- Football anytime my kids are playing in the house
- Late night movie, TV, Music... so I don't disturb the family
- Treadmill

I have done some research and see there may be some work around products that may work but I have committed SONOS. I want to put on some SONOS wireless headphones, select headphones on the SONOS app and enjoy the same wireless quality sound I get from my other speakers.
I agree about the need for a way to use headphones with my Play:1s. I can't afford a Connect, and I don't want to be tethered to a Connect and headphones amp. I want to be able to use Sonos with I'm vacuuming, listening to music late at night when my partner is asleep, etc. The speakers and system are absolutely wonderful -- except for the inability to use headphones. C'mon, Sonos, step up!
Won't the sound of the vacuum wake your partner anyway?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
They are never going to make headphones, too many manufacturers in that market already.
With sonos you need deep pockets, so either buy a connect and wireless headphones like senhieiser, or sell up and buy something else.
As said, you need to find a set of wireless headphones that will accept an optical input. Sennheiser offers several. Sony used to offer one and it is the model I use, but it is no longer offered. SONOS Connect has 3 outputs, 1-analog, 2 digital. My system is wired so that 1 digital output is wired to my out board DAC and then to my stereo amp; the other is wired to the wireless headphones. When I want to listen to the headphones I switch the input on the amp to something other than SONOS (or turn it off) and turn on the headphones and listen. Both digital outputs on the Connect are active simultaneously (I think the analog out out is too, but I don't know and never tried.) so you feasibly could use them simultaneously but that kind of defeats the purpose of headphones. The controllers don't know (or care) what outputs are in use so all 3 represent the same Zone. So once its set up, its pretty much seamless - no switches, headphone amps or moving of wired connections. Really what more could you ask for?

The hardware that SONOS makes is wonderful. Dedicated controllers were a bust and headphones would be too. Let's just let them continue to do what they do best and improve on that platform and not stray into uncharted waters.
Badge
A Wi-Fi headphone would allow you to move around your home (earlier examples were vacuuming or other household members sleeping) without being tethered to a specific Sonos Connect.

To use a wireless headphone system (Sennheiser and Sony have been mentioned) you would also need a Sonos Connect to provide the varying audio input. This could be rather costly especially if you wanted more than one person to have this complete flexibility including selecting a different audio source.

I posted a question a few weeks ago about streaming an audio source to a tablet (https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/can-i-use-a-connect-to-stream-an-audio-source-tv-for-example-to-my-tablet-6734992) which is the same type of scenario - the ability to have one or more persons streaming audio to their headphones.

Perhaps instead of Wi-Fi headphones, if the Sonos app had the ability to capture audio from a source for playback, you could connect headphones to a smartphone which has the Sonos app installed. This would essentially turn your smartphone into a portable Connect and allowing you to place the phone in your pocket and vacuum freely or have multiple people enjoying audio content without disturbing others. This would be essentially 'free' and any visitor who had headphones with them could participate.

Just a thought.
As mentioned in other threads, Sonos is not going to commit Squeezebox-style suicide by letting you create a cheap Connect from any old Android phone. Not going to happen. Sonos headphones have been requested for years. It seems the market is not there for Sonos to see a proper ROI, and there are other alternatives, as mentioned here.
Badge
Maybe a more expensive Connect by using an iPhone? :-)

Since the Sonos app is halfway there in terms of functionality, my expectation would be for the app to only receive audio from another Sonos component, so the app would stay out of the realm of a Squeezbox style app. But your point is taken.
I purchased a pair play1's for my three teenage daughters. 6 Play1's in total. Thought it was a great idea. Great sound -- library and internet access. They do nothing but collect dust in their rooms because they have no headphone capability. Very very sad -- just a waste of money.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How is that an issue for Sonos to be concerned about that your 3 teenage daughters are being like, well, teenage girls?

Take away the speakers and either use them elsewhere, give them away or sell them on an on-line auction site.

And you know what, I agree with you that's it's a waste of money - I'd be taking it out of your daughters' pocket money until it were paid off.

Perhaps you won't appreciate the parenting advice but I'm not really sure what else to say.
I purchased a pair play1's for my three teenage daughters. 6 Play1's in total. Thought it was a great idea. Great sound -- library and internet access. They do nothing but collect dust in their rooms because they have no headphone capability. Very very sad -- just a waste of money.
You didn't check the spec for inputs/outputs prior to purchase? And having discovered on unboxing that they didn't have a headphone jack you still didn't simply return them for refund?
The thing that puzzles me most is that if the speakers were going to be listened to through headphones, why did you buy each daughter TWO speakers?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

This makes little sense. What are they playing the music from? A laptop? An iPhone? An Android tablet? Whatever the case, that device will have a headphone jack or support bluetooth. Sure, they cannot access the music from the Sonos app, but really, is that fact making it a "waste of money"???
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
My two cents-worth. How about a Sonos Bridge or Boost puts out a Bluetooth signal that can be picked up by wireless headphones. They pair with the Bridge/Boost and hey; you're off and away, untethered and walking around your house/office hearing your Sonos music through wireless head cans. I can imagine Bose Quiet Comfort 35 (QC35), the Bluetooth and noise cancelling headphones, being a great fit to to this set-up.
How about a Sonos Bridge or Boost puts out a Bluetooth signal that can be picked up by wireless headphones.
BRIDGE/BOOST is a pure networking component, transferring traffic between wired and wireless segments. To decode the audio payload and re-encode for Bluetooth would require most of the capabilities of a CONNECT, not to mention the Bluetooth hardware.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
How about a Sonos Bridge or Boost puts out a Bluetooth signal that can be picked up by wireless headphones.
BRIDGE/BOOST is a pure networking component, transferring traffic between wired and wireless segments. To decode the audio payload and re-encode for Bluetooth would require most of the capabilities of a CONNECT, not to mention the Bluetooth hardware.

Thank you Ratty. My iPhone has iTunes/Apple Music and Sonos controller and Bluetooth. Bose QC35s work fine with iTunes/Apple music but not Sonos controller. Would love to have my Sonos music collection (playlists, and functionality, etc.) playable to the QC35s from the iPhone. I thought Bridge/Boost might be a way to do it simply but misunderstood its functionality. Cheers.
Would love to have my Sonos music collection (playlists, and functionality, etc.) playable to the QC35s from the iPhone.
That would imply the Sonos controller app becoming a media player. This subject has been done to death on multiple threads over the years, and the words 'commercial suicide' often featured in such discussions:
1/ Sonos makes money from selling hardware players.
2/ The controller app is free.
3/ Turning a phone into a free software Sonos player therefore makes zero business sense.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Perhaps this was discussed above, but I received a Playbar for Christmas. Loved it! Had to return it. You see, our kids use headphones on weekend mornings so that we can sleep in. No headphone access with the Soundbar means that we had to return it.
I'm sure the next hardware rev of the Soundbar could add bluetooth headphone capabilities and it would not erode your business. May even spur sales of Soundbars.
Thanks, My2¢.
Sonos doesn't support Bluetooth -- for input or output -- and given that their general attitude is that Bluetooth audio quality (and range) is not in keeping with the brand I doubt they'd change their mind.

PLAYBAR does of course have a 'Night Sound' mode which reduces the dynamic range so as to avoid disturbing others.

Surely for the kids' purposes you could even have simply attached a Bluetooth audio transmitter to the TV itself?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
note - this hooked to a Sonos output (Connect or old Play:5) would send to the Powerbeats

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIV0GS3CW3827&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBizMKPL-PC-_-pla-_-Headphones+and+Accessories-_-9SIV0GS3CW3827&gclid=CKClipy9o88CFQskhgodrI4GFQ
I agree about the need for a way to use headphones with my Play:1s. I can't afford a Connect, and I don't want to be tethered to a Connect and headphones amp. I want to be able to use Sonos with I'm vacuuming, listening to music late at night when my partner is asleep, etc. The speakers and system are absolutely wonderful -- except for the inability to use headphones. C'mon, Sonos, step up!;

Exactly right. My family objects to the volume at which I want to listen. I have 2 Play1s and a Sub. I don't want or need a Connect -- I'd add a playbar -- but if I can't listen at night when everyone is asleep, it is a deal breaker. And I don't want Sonos to supply headphones. All I want is a headphone jack. Since the playbar has its own amps, it should be an easy hack to wire one in. Anyone tried that?
Sonos doesn't support Bluetooth -- for input or output -- and given that their general attitude is that Bluetooth audio quality (and range) is not in keeping with the brand I doubt they'd change their mind.

PLAYBAR does of course have a 'Night Sound' mode which reduces the dynamic range so as to avoid disturbing others.

Surely for the kids' purposes you could even have simply attached a Bluetooth audio transmitter to the TV itself?

I don't want bluetooth -- I want a wired headphone jack on the playar so I can connet my high end headphones and listed to the Metropolitan Opera streaming