Answered

Sonos in Ceiling Manual question

• 9 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

This image on this post comes from the Sonos in-ceiling speakers manual.   How is this set up accomplished?  

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 10 March 2020, 00:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Is this a Sonos manual, or a Sonance manual? Despite similar names, they aren’t the same company. I’m not aware of any Sonos system that supports 7.1.

Userlevel 7

As @Airgetlam  mentioned the diagram is from a Sonance Manual whose speakers can be installed as such by a professional installer using 3rd party 7.1 amplifier (not Sonos equipment).  Click the link.

https://www.sonance.com/assets/media/files/downloads/VP_Manual_Round_Speakers_110629.pdf

Badge

Thanks everyone for the quick answers.  As of now I have a sound bar, 2 play ones and the Sub at home.  

I was thinking about upgrading to in-ceiling speakers as part of my home renovation, but it seems that my set up is probably as good as it gets with Sonos.  The sound is good, but I wanted a more conspicuous and elegant set up.  

what I need to figure out is a way to mount the Play ones  in the ceiling.   

Somewhere around here, I’ve seen a link to a company that provides such a thing, but I suspect a google search would be quicker.

And if you go that route, I  would really love a report as to if there is any affect on the sound generation...although for use as surrounds, it would be substantially less of an issue in my book. 

Recently, I set up an Amp for a friend to drive some in ceiling speakers. I think he said they were Polks, but the Amp did as good a job powering them as surrounds as my PLAY:1s. And there is a certain appeal to having the speakers ‘hidden’ away. 

Took some fiddling with the search parameters, but this is the company I remember seeing a link to before.

https://www.thenos.us

Can’t vouch for this company, though, don’t have any experience.

Just tried several links to .pdf documents from the website, those docs don’t seem to exist. If they’re not able to keep their website up to date, I have to wonder if they’re so small not to have a web person, or are they just shady as a company….gives me pause, to be sure. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Gabe Ruiz 

Great that you enjoy Sonos!

If you really want to make your Sonos HT somewhat invisible you still can. However, it will require that you invest more money. There are two options...with one option you keep your Playbar and sub and re-purpose your Play 1’s elsewhere in your home or the second option you keep the Sub and repurpose the Play 1’s and the Playbar.

Option 1

Purchase a Sonos Amp and Sonos Architectural in-Ceiling speaker by Sonance.  The Sonos Amp would drive two of the Sonos Architectural in-Cellinig speakers as surrounds. The Playbar and Sub would remain as they are.  Cost: $1,248 (USD)

Option 2

Purchase two Sonos Amps, two Sonos Architectural in-Wall speakers and two Sonos Architectural in-Ceiling speakers.

Use a Sonos Amp to drive the two in-wall speakers on either side of the TV for front sound. Doing so you will lose the dedicated Center channel associated with the Playbar in favor of a Phantom Center channel created by the two in-wall speakers. The Sonos Sub would bond to this amp.

The second Sonos Amp would drive the in-ceiling speakers for surround the same as in Option 1.  Cost: $2,496 (USD)

With either option controlling your Sonos would be the same as before (wireless) for movies and music. Albeit the options are not cheap. However, I don’t know how deep your pockets are: :sunglasses:

Cheers!