Question

Sonos doen't work with Range Extenders - alternatives?

• 26 August 2016
  • 10 replies

Badge +2
Hi all

As the name suggests when my play3 connects to my Wifi Range extender, I get an error message saying sonos doesn't work with Wifi extenders. Does anyone know the rationale behind this?

Also, what are my options in terms of trying to get a speaker to work in the dead spots of my apartment in lieu of an extender?

Thanks in advance
Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

WiFi extenders have mixed reliability, and some go so far as to mangle the MAC (hardware) addresses of attached devices as seen from elsewhere in the network. This can make Sonos controller behaviour somewhat unpredictable.

Your simplest option is to get a Sonos BOOST (or a second-hand BRIDGE) and wire it to your router. This will automatically set up Sonos' own wireless mesh network, SonosNet. Since it's a mesh, each component effectively acts as a repeater.

Particularly difficult dead spots can be addressed by placing an additional BOOST/BRIDGE somewhere between the wired Sonos component and the speaker in question. Often an extra purchase is unnecessary as another Sonos player will automatically provide the wireless relay function to support the outlying speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
you could also try homeplugs which send network signals through your home electrical wiring. These are not supported officially either but have worked fine for me in the past.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
you could also try homeplugs which send network signals through your home electrical wiring. These are not supported officially either but have worked fine for me in the past.

You might be lucky, but I think it depends on the kit used ... I have tried a few times (with a Netgear Modem/Router and Netgear CPL/Homeplugs) and wiring a Sonos unit to the Homeplug or a switch after the Homeplug - and I end up with a network storm which slows the whole network down, including internet access, to the point of unusability.

I confirm what Ratty has said, I got another Play 1 which ended up placed between a couple of other units (where the signal was on the limit) and the whole Sonos network then worked very well.
Broadcast storms have been reported here before when using Netgear homeplugs with Sonos. They apparently block STP traffic, so network loops go undetected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Ive always used TP-Link ones which been OK.
Ive always used TP-Link ones which been OK.
Devolo also plays well with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
do you have multiple speakers where Sonosnet would work better extending range of network.
I posted here a problem with devolo powerline. Used to work well but now plugging Boost into the devolo kills wifi and extender throughout the house. Any ideas appreciated.
Badge +20
Do you have any other Sonos devices wired? If yes unplug them and leave just the Boost connected.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I have two zones near the router and two zones around 15 metres and a couple of walls away. Sonos Net is enough until the microwave is in use at which point it is 50/50 if the two distant zones drop out or not. A TP Link homeplug system makes it more reliable with the microwave, but once every couple of months something happens and I have to power cycle the homeplugs.
What I really need to do is buy more Sonos units, but my wallet is too light at the moment!