Sonos contributing to electronic waste

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Sonos have recently started a trade in promotion in the UK with partnered retailers where you can trade in a Connect or Connect:AMP and receive a 'specified' discount off of a new Sonos AMP.

They then modified the trade in promotion to be where you can trade in any Connect, Connect: AMP or (old gen) Play:5 for 30% any new Sonos product.

I get that they are trying to sell more +/ new products but then contributing a massive amount to electrical waste. In their T&C's that they send to retailers they give a £15 credit (recycling fee) for the disposal of the old product. The old product is to strictly not be used or re-registered again or the retailer will be punished or loose their partnership.

I think it's disgusting that Sonos are playing a huge role in generating unnecessary waste. All these units are perfectly fine and working but are to be disposed of for no reason other than that Sonos want to make money. Yes Sonos are giving a £15 credit for recycling but retailers won't and aren't recycling, they'll throw away in general waste and make an extra £15 profit. Sonos are doing nothing to track correct (recycling) disposal of old devices and nothing to make sure retailers are being responsible.

Sonos really should have thought about this trade in more. I will now be extremely hesitant to purchase any further Sonos products in the future.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Yes, but this is part of the problem - if it wasn’t for the software/functionality bloat, we wouldn’t be talking about bricking  perfectly good units...

It is a very small part of the problem, even if one stayed with just the domain of computer tech where Intel and Microsoft were the shining beacons of this bloat. Expanding to autos, every new model car seems to be bigger than the ones preceding, and not just because people are getting fatter. It is an epidemic, the underlying issue of how lives are lived these days.

My problem is with those that pick on the pennies while living blissfully unconcerned about the pounds.

I don’t particularly disagree, but there’s an old adage ‘look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves’…. And in terms of Sonos kit, which is presumably the subject under discussion here, it’s a very big deal...

I don't believe that the adage applies in this case, these pennies don't automatically lead/add up to pounds; and most complaints about the Sonos exchange program are based on personal financial impacts as opposed to environmental ones, even where those are claimed to be the purpose of this thread.

And I completely fail to see how the trade up program in itself is adding to waste when one can choose to not take the option. So why is it a big deal, by itself?

Now if you were to then say that Sonos contributes to waste by not making products that can last for decades with after sales repair service as/when needed, yes, but that takes us back to Sonos having to operate in the use and throw lifestyle at price points that its markets support - for both getting over boredom by needing constant meaningless change, and for not wanting to pay the price of life time support, even if it could overcome the “boredom” of the same box doing the same thing in their life for decades.

And most people will have a problem with getting off the upgrade path that bricks Sonos devices from time to time because these people will change smartphones often like every other phone user does and unwittingly get back onto the upgrade path for Sonos kit as well.

Those that have the necessary discipline and the tech savvy have successfully gotten on to the path of getting the full hardware service life from their Sonos components, and will not have any personal concerns about this trade up or the need for it.

Perhaps the thread should be titled “ Sonos is making it very easy for us to contribute to electronic waste”.

I don't believe that the adage applies in this case, these pennies don't automatically lead/add up to pounds

I disagree, but there you go…. Even though I totally agree that we need to tackle problems at a global level, doing nothing at a personal level doesn’t help the situation. 

Now if you were to then say that Sonos contributes to waste by not making products that can last for decades with after sales repair service as/when needed, yes……

Quite…. 

Perhaps the thread should be titled “ Sonos is making it very easy for us to contribute to electronic waste”.

Sure….

doing nothing at a personal level doesn’t help the situation. 

I did not say or mean that, as I thought you would know very well.

I am referring to talking about the environmental evils of the Sonos trade up scheme while at the same time living a life supported by enormous personal - however unseen that may be - fossil fuel/energy consumption. Acting on both on a personal level is necessary to avoid being labelled a hypocrite, even if one can't influence things on a more than personal, let alone global, level.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

doing nothing at a personal level doesn’t help the situation. 

I did not say or mean that, as I thought you would know very well.

I am referring to talking about the environmental evils of the Sonos trade up scheme while at the same time living a life supported by enormous personal - however unseen that may be - fossil fuel/energy consumption. Acting on both on a personal level is necessary to avoid being labelled a hypocrite, even if one can't influence things on a more than personal, let alone global, level.

Do you think it's fair that the viral tweet guy and journos are labelling Sonos as hypocritical because Sonos claims that sustainability is "non-negotiable" but are promoting bricking working units instead of reusing? 

It isn't fair; not because I believe what Sonos, now formally a for profit corporate, says about sustainability, but because I don't see how their “promoting” bricking of working units is hostile to the environment. 

I have some old Sonos kit - Connect/Connect Amps. Paying 70% of the cost of new equivalents to get the same functionality - for the most part - makes no sense to me. So I would ignore the offer at no cost to the environment via electronic waste.

I think it is interesting that the Connect is on the list of things to be bricked by the recycle program while at the same time is still being sold on the Sonos site. It is no wonder that this program has some public perception issues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It isn't fair; not because I believe what Sonos, now formally a for profit corporate, says about sustainability, but because I don't see how their “promoting” bricking of working units is hostile to the environment. 

I have some old Sonos kit - Connect/Connect Amps. Paying 70% of the cost of new equivalents to get the same functionality - for the most part - makes no sense to me. So I would ignore the offer at no cost to the environment via electronic waste.

Sonos has always been for profit, they've never been a non profit afaik.... But I think I get what you are implying

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I think it is interesting that the Connect is on the list of things to be bricked by the recycle program while at the same time is still being sold on the Sonos site. It is no wonder that this program has some public perception issues.

I thought it was only the zp80/90 version? 

Is there a difference between the ZP90 and the Connect apart from branding? Does the Connect have more memory to help make it future proof against the contraints that are expected to affect the ability for Sonos to continiue supporting the ZP90 at some point?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Is there a difference between the ZP90 and the Connect apart from branding? Does the Connect have more memory to help make it future proof against the contraints that are expected to affect the ability for Sonos to continiue supporting the ZP90 at some point?

I have no idea, was hoping you could explain lol!

I’m sure that an expert can give a definitive answer, but I was under the impression that there was a bit-perfect ZP90, then a hardware change so that the ZP90 was no longer bit-perfect, then they renamed that version to the Connnect. I don’t think that the later ZP90/Connect were inherently much more capable than the earlier ZP90, so I would expect them all to suffer the same fate - hence the recent introduction of the new Port...

I’m sure that an expert can give a definitive answer, but I was under the impression that there was a bit-perfect ZP90, then a hardware change so that the ZP90 was no longer bit-perfect, then they renamed that version to the Connnect. I don’t think that the later ZP90/Connect were inherently much more capable than the earlier ZP90, so I would expect them all to suffer the same fate - hence the recent introduction of the new Port...

So the messaging is:

Sonos is concerned that the Connect will not be able to support future features and wants to encourage their removal from the supported population through a recycling incentive,,, but they are not concerned enough to stop selling them on their website.

Sonos bricks the recycled connects to ensure they do not persist in the supported population while still intoducing new units back into that population knowing they are only just a few updates away from becoming landfill fodder.

This is in addition to the recent announcement that stated: Sonos is going to raise the price on the Port on January 9th so it can expand and create jobs in some country other than the USA but only US consumers will will see the price increase that pays for this.

Maybe Sonos should consider hiring a PR firm to help them with their messaging and public image.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Ok I'm looking at buying a new Connect. This would be marked for recycling right away? 

Where is the Connect listed for sale on the Sonos site?  I don’t see it anywhere, including under refurbished products?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Where is the Connect listed for sale on the Sonos site?  I don’t see it anywhere, including under refurbished products?

Lmgtfy lol :)

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/last-chance

Well, agreed then that it should probably be removed.  Not sure why anyone would buy them for $50 more than the Port, unless they were unaware of when the Connect  was first released.  

I get that Sonos likely has some stock they are trying to unload, and do believe the units will function just fine for several years.   I suppose it may make sense to get these if you’re looking at a Connect as something you use for 3-4 years and upgrade later on to whatever currently meets your needs.  Seems like that would be a rather tiny market though.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Well, agreed then that it should probably be removed.  Not sure why anyone would buy them for $50 more than the Port, unless they were unaware of when the Connect  was first released.  

I get that Sonos likely has some stock they are trying to unload, and do believe the units will function just fine for several years.   I suppose it may make sense to get these if you’re looking at a Connect as something you use for 3-4 years and upgrade later on to whatever currently meets your needs.  Seems like that would be a rather tiny market though.

It isn't $50 more than the Port. I (was) looking at the connect.  Very lame and unethical of them not to be upfront about this. 

It isn't $50 more than the Port. I (was) looking at the connect.  Very lame and unethical of them not to be upfront about this. 

I misspoke.  $50 less.  Not sure what you are claiming is lame and unethical?  That the Connect is still for sale while available for tradeup?  That the Connect sale page is some what hidden on the site?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I misspoke.  $50 less.  Not sure what you are claiming is lame and unethical?  That the Connect is still for sale while available for tradeup?  That the Connect sale page is some what hidden on the site?

Neither. The Sonos connect product page says "enjoy incredible performance"- but is part of the recycle program that Sonos says is for devices that lack the "the processing power and memory to support modern Sonos experiences". 

I would guess that’s more of an issue with updating the website  or marketing oversight rather than intentionally misleading customers.  But if that’s the sort of thing that you normally find unethical, then so be it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I would guess that’s more of an issue with updating the website  or marketing oversight rather than intentionally misleading customers.  But if that’s the sort of thing that you normally find unethical, then so be it.

It's reasonable to suggest a simple oversight or blame marketing (let me guess you don't work in marketing lol). But The recycle program was announced Oct 30 2019. Too long for simple mistake. So yes I'm willing to call it out for what it is. 

It's reasonable to suggest a simple oversight or blame marketing (let me guess you don't work in marketing lol). But The recycle program was announced Oct 30 2019. Too long for simple mistake. So yes I'm willing to call it out for what it is. 

Even if this is a mistake we’re still talking about bricking Connects that may have been bought a few months ago…. Can’t be right, surely….

Even if this is a mistake we’re still talking about bricking Connects that may have been bought a few months ago…. Can’t be right, surely….

What makes you think someone who bought a Connect a few months ago is going to voluntarily brick their unit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Who would pay new prices for a Connect just to brick it when you get the same rebate for the cheapest (barely) working one off ebay?

Now a contractor that has a lot invested in their connect setups might want to grab a spare or two at new prices.