Question

Sonos Connect with Alexa

• 20 December 2016
  • 22 replies

This question probably has already been answered but can not find a specific answer to it. Can or will there be Sonos integration with Echo Dot using a Sonos CONNECT wireless streamer without using line in ( voice control through Alexa) I am not referring to Play speakers but Sonos Connect Device. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

We don't know at this point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is no reason that the Sonos intergration coming out won't work with Connect or Connect:Amp. They have virtually same software as the Play units and should respond to Sonos commands via Echo Dot.
Actually we do know. The press release explicitly stated the Sonos/Alexa integration will work with all new and previously purchased Sonos and Alexa-enabled devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We haven't shared a lot of details around the upcoming Amazon Alexa integration beyond that it's coming. You can read the full announcement here. But I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when it's out in 2017.
Ryan, I believe they call that a tease. 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, I believe they call that a tease. :P

Well, I guess I've been called worse 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know he is getting worse with the teasing. He must like what he is seeing as he normally doesn't do that.
Badge
Hi Ryan, as long as you're teasing...
- Will Echo/Echo Dot work to control Connect Amp too?
- And, are we talking which quarter of 2017 for the release? (Answer will guide my Sonos purchases coming up)
- Is there a Beta program I can join?
Hi Ryan, as long as you're teasing...
- Will Echo/Echo Dot work to control Connect Amp too?

As per the press release, the integration will work with all new and previously purchased Sonos and Alexa devices. So yes, the Connect:Amp will work.

- And, are we talking which quarter of 2017 for the release? (Answer will guide my Sonos purchases coming up)

You won't get this info. Sonos doesn't give exact timetables, the most you will get is vague estimates. This is mostly because they schedule according to testing phases completed, not time or date. The press release stated "The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017."

- Is there a Beta program I can join?

Any beta going on right now is private. Sonos does not talk about private betas. When/if a public beta is announced, you can choose to join then.
Badge
So much for teasing! 🆒 Ok, will wait patiently & thanks for the quick response Ryan.
So much for teasing! 🆒 Ok, will wait patiently & thanks for the quick response Ryan.

Actually, I'm not Ryan. But I pretty much know what his answers will be. Actually, his answers are sometimes more obtuse than mine. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea Ryan is just a kindler gentler version of jgatie. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Yea Ryan is just a kindler gentler version of jgatie. :)
Haha! Jgatie has his soft spots too. We're all friendly at heart :)

His answers are just about perfect on this one. I can't share much that hasn't already been said here on those points. As to the third, make sure you've signed up on your account page that you'd like to help with testing in general, but they can't guaranty any openings in a beta program that may or may not exist. When they go to select testers for any betas they usually start with that list. That is once it goes outside the company for the tester pool
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm a long term SONOS user and have been really looking forward to Alexa integration - I have 4 zones, 2 dots.
Over the years my system has suffered a fair few 'drop outs' maybe the very thick wall and almost certainly the poor 3G signal. Since the local mast have upgraded to 4G double speed I think I've only had a few drop outs in 18 months. So SONOS really is now working extremely well - I'm very happy
So I've been thinking how Alexia will integrate - will it only work with a SONOS wifi setup or will a SONOSnet setup also work.
I dont want to change from SONOSnet as my understanding is the system is more stable, and my system has never worked so well.
• Anyone know will it be wifi and SONOSnet compatable?
• A clue maybe the new Spotify connect app can anyone tell me if Spotify connect works on SONOSnet?- I use Google Play Music - paid and Amazon Prime music - 'free'
• I like many wont want to change from SONOSnet with a reliable system setup.
thanks in advance
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Everything still works on sonosnet as always. Don't see that changing.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the reply
Great news, really looking forward to Alexa - SONOS, hopefully GPM and other popular services are included in the inital launch - not just Spotify and amazon music.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm really looking forward to this... no one has any idea when it's coming, I assume?
Thanks for the reply
Great news, really looking forward to Alexa - SONOS, hopefully GPM and other popular services are included in the inital launch - not just Spotify and amazon music.

And local music too... would suck if voice control only worked with streaming services without an option to at least kick off local play lists.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes, but I think GPM free 50,000 tracks 'locker' FREE I'm fairly sure works at present (not 100% as cant test due to subscribing - maybe someone can confirm?) but this maybe an option if local music isn't available.
Hope it is though as I know a lot of SONOS users do store locally.
Userlevel 1
Badge
...GPM is 320 kbps so some may not want to use GPM if they have lossless etc
One reason to have a local library is to act as a backup when your Internet link goes down. Uploading tracks to cloud storage kind of defeats the purpose. If I'm going to put effort into building playlists I would like to access them via Alexa when the Internet is up and still use them via the PC controller when the Internet is down so the music library needs to be local.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm totally with you, I cant get 'broadband' here, rural, and rely on EE 4G double speed, touch wood its a reliable connection 30 to 35 mbps DL (100 GB cap per month).
I had all my music on my PC when it was dialup and 3G, the internet can really effect the SONOS experience, hopefully everyones needs will be catered for.