Question

Sonos connect poor sound quality with Denon X4000 receiver

• 22 October 2016
  • 8 replies

I have several SONOS SPeakers. Today I purchased sonos connect and connected it to my denon x4000 receiver. The sound quality is really bad. I connected into phono input. I have tried other inputs but no sound comes out. Can anyone help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Do other external devices such as a CD player work in those inputs? You are selecting the correct input with your amplifier's input selector when you try each input?

As far as your amp is concerned this is just another RCA input, it is almost impossible to believe there is some fundamental incompatibility between Sonos and your amp.

A faulty Connect cannot be ruled out, but these seem very rare.

The more likely probability is that the physical input on the amp needs to be properly assigned to whichever source is being selected.
Userlevel 7
You cannot use the Phono input with a Connect. In fact you can't use the Phono input with anything except a Phono. What exactly are you trying to use the Connect with and your Denon x4000 receiver.
You cannot use the Phono input with a Connect. In fact you can't use the Phono input with anything except a Phono. What exactly are you trying to use the Connect with and your Denon x4000 receiver.

Yes, basically use any input EXCEPT phono!
The sound quality is really bad because either you're overloading the input or it's applying compensation that isn't needed - or both.

Try the CD or tape inputs - they should work fine...
Guys; I have tried every port. Was on the phone with sonos tech for 30 minutes. We can't get sonos to play on my x4000 Denon. Anyone has this receiver?
Do other external devices such as a CD player work in those inputs? You are selecting the correct input with your amplifier's input selector when you try each input?

As far as your amp is concerned this is just another RCA input, it is almost impossible to believe there is some fundamental incompatibility between Sonos and your amp.

A faulty Connect cannot be ruled out, but these seem very rare.
Presumably you're using an analogue connection, if it was plugged into the phono sockets. Have you tried a different cable? Have you tried an optical connection to the amp?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Try with direct settings on the amp first. This will bypass every amp dsp.