Answered

Sonos Connect outputs (+sub)?

• 24 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello!

I am interested in buying a cople of Sonos Connects. The plan is to have amplifiers between the Sonos Connects and the in ceiling speakers. In one of the zones I am planning to have a sub woofer aswell.

My question is:
When sending music / sound to the Sonos Connect, will there be output from all three (Optical, Coaxial & Analog RCA) outputs AT THE SAME TIME? So I can use one of the sonos connect and connect the Coax to a amplifier and connect the Analog RCA to a sub woofer?

/Daniel
icon

Best answer by ratty 24 August 2018, 12:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

When sending music / sound to the Sonos Connect, will there be output from all three (Optical, Coaxial & Analog RCA) outputs AT THE SAME TIME?
Yes. All outputs are live.
When sending music / sound to the Sonos Connect, will there be output from all three (Optical, Coaxial & Analog RCA) outputs AT THE SAME TIME?
Yes. All outputs are live.

So it is not like the rest of the outputs are disabled when one of them is used?

And how is the output signal strength per outputs? Is one of the outputs stronger than the other?

Thanks in advance!
None are disabled. As for the output signal strength I'm not sure what you mean. Two of them are digital, operating per the S/PDIF standard. The RCA is at line-level nominally, but of course will vary according to the actual volume setting.
Okay, I think I got my answer.

According to your answer this is possible:

I buy one Sonos Connect.
I buy one active sub woofer.
I buy one pair of passive speakers.
I buy one amplifier to power the passive speakers.
Everything is possible to set up with the Sonos Connect as one zone?

Am I right?
Sure, that should work. Obviously how you'd connect the sub depends on what inputs it offers.

But why not do as follows instead:
- one Sonos Connect:Amp
- one active subwoofer
- one pair of passive speakers

Connect:Amp has a subwoofer Line Out, with an internal crossover. It should be more than capable of driving in-ceiling speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Depending on your speaker choices you are going to be faced with needing a crossover to direct the low frequencies to the sum and higher ones to your other speakers. The Sub may also only accept a mono signal which can be tricky to get out of a Connect.

I'd say do one or the other of these, the second is a lot less aggravation to use.

Get a decent amp with a sub output that matches your chosen sub, make sure it has enough power to run your ceiling speakers and has a digital input to hook to the Connect.

Get a Connect Amp. That gives you about 50 Watts of power and an RCA mono sub output that works with most active subs out there.