Sonos Connect is missing digital audio input

• 25 November 2012
  • 63 replies

Why doesn't the Sonos Connect support digital input so that you can use it to attach e.g. Play-3 speakers and the SUB to a TV? Every modern TV utilizes HDMI and Optical Output and you can find less and less dual RCA cable output. Yes, the Sonos Connect has a simple mini jack to dual RCA which I could use but I really don't want to try to watch movies that way. I am willing put put the money down for a good solution but it appears that there is none. I fear I have to take back the SUB and the connect. Do you know of any solution to this? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

I am waiting on digital input before I will buy Sonos.   Looking at other systems 
Badge
Add another vote for digital input on Connect. Very surprised that a device that only serves to connect to and from a Sonos system doesn't have a digital input. I can understand not building a bunch of connections into every speaker offering, but why not the Connect? It should have every type of connection imaginable for $350. Just testing out Sonos and trying to decide if I can make it my main music system. This limitation and Sonos' limited product line are keeping me on the sidelines with just one Play:1 for now. It seems Sonos is leaving itself very vulnerable to competitors by omitting basic functionality like this and not offering a wider variety of products (wireless headphones, outdoor speakers, in wall/ceiling speakers, shower speakers, etc.).
Yeah, this would be nice. I have a projector, so a Sonos sound bar doesn't really work that well.
I am disappointed to find that Connect does not include digital audio input.
Same need for me. I should "forward" a digital input to reuse an existing system in my bedroom.
TV -> AMP (digital) -> Existing system (digital)

The existing speakers should be part of my Sonos system.
I also have a Play:5 in that room and I sadly can't connect it to my TV using a digital connection.

In general I'm enthusiast about Sonos, but it's disappointing that it's very limited in connections, forcing you to buy different (expensive) products to achieve all your goals (I already have a Sonos Bar in my living room, I don't want to buy another one and throw away my existing system).

And I also have the bad feeling that these user requests are not taken into considerations (at least, not enough). 
+1 for HDMI in/out on Sonos Bridge and Connect. 
I totally agree with you...
Galaxy S6 cover
Samsung Galaxy J5 cover
I would like to connect my PC to the Sonos network via a device like the Connect. Only digital input is needed there.
really no digital audio input for connect?

i like to buy more sonos but this feature is really missing

+1 for digital connect in at "Sonnos Connect".
Sonos' multi-year silence on this topic seems like a classic case of a company not listening to its customers. I hope I'm wrong!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thing is a connect2 could be in development with digital input and we won't know until the day they release it. I would suspect they would be close to getting a refresh.
Thing is a connect2 could be in development with digital input and we won't know until the day they release it. I would suspect they would be close to getting a refresh.
Chris, you might be right - connect:amp is currently on back order. Wishful thinking 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sonos' multi-year silence on this topic seems like a classic case of a company not listening to its customers. I hope I'm wrong!
Yes, they don't seem to listen to customer suggestions on this forum.  Such a pity, and a wasted resource.  I really don't understand it.
+1. And IR remote learning functionality, basically a Sonos connect for TVs. Or a soundbar without the speaker for those of us who already have a set of good speakers near the TV.
+1. And IR remote learning functionality, basically a Sonos connect for TVs. Or a soundbar without the speaker for those of us who already have a set of good speakers near the TV.

A soundbar without speakers? NOBODY makes that. Why would Sonos want to take sales away from their own Playbar by introducing this?

I CAN see the use of a digital input for the Connect and Connect:Amp but not for surround purposes.
Call it what you want, but a connect with optical in, out and tv learning ir. Bluesound makes it, Node 2, but I prefer the Sonos ecosystem.
Call it what you want, but a connect with optical in, out and tv learning ir. Bluesound makes it, Node 2, but I prefer the Sonos ecosystem.

The Node 2 is not a surround processor, it's stereo only and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have learning IR.
So after considering the problem and reviewing the only current digital in solution, the playbar, I think I understand why Sonos hasn't gone down this road. Digital audio standards are complicated, ever changing and pretty hard to debug for end users. Sonos products are built to be future proof and last for an extended period of time. The hardware cost of a general purpose CPU that could allow for updates to how new digital formats are handled, combined with the development and support costs of such a solution seem pretty problematic. I also don't see an abundance of scenarios where digital in is used for non-video related audio streams. If you really want to take an audio stream from your cable box, blueray player, whatever, you are better off feeding it to a receiver, and then sending to a second zone and then sending it back to the connect that way.Now a days the receiver companies are being forced to support longer upgrade cycles that include firmware updates for digital standards. I spent all weekend doing choirs while listening to football in my entire house, all by feeding my sonos connect. from the second zone of my av receiver.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
A simple stereo digital (coaxial) input would be very welcome and really precious on the Connect unit.
At least, the 70 milisecond latency delay would forever gone for good, and watching TV while listening the sound on a pair of play3 speakers would be the best experience possible.
A simple stereo digital (coaxial) input would be very welcome and really precious on the Connect unit.
At least, the 70 milisecond latency delay would forever gone for good, and watching TV while listening the sound on a pair of play3 speakers would be the best experience possible.

The 70ms latency has nothing to do with AD (or DA) conversion. It's due to the provision of sufficient network buffering to enable synced play. Transit times across the local network vary. Without a buffer at the receiving device it would periodically starve of data and drop the audio.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Humm... So how does it works with the playbars?

No problems with latency there?

(Or is it that the soundbars do have the 70ms latency to?)

(I'm sorry, but I don't know much about the playbars that well...)
The PLAYBAR has a 30ms latency for the optical input. Because it maintains point-to-point links with its surrounds/SUB -- via 5GHz wireless or Ethernet -- it can afford to reduce the amount of buffering.

When other players are grouped with a PLAYBAR they must use the standard 70ms buffer, which is why they don't play in sync for the TV source.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ok... I'm starting to get it.

That would be the main reason why Sonos would not want to introduce a digital input in it's Connect devices...

This might seem like a really bad news situation for myself, as I was supposing not to invest on the Playbar, at least, in the next 6 months...

This might seem to be very bad news for my pocket... 😕
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I dunno. I'm doing 2ch stereo audio (temporary solution while I'm in a transitional living space) using a TV optical,out, a Best Buy cheapie DAC, and a ZP80 connected to a pair of good computer speakers, plus a Play:3 grouped in to improve the bass. I don't get bothered by the delay. But since I have two play:3s in the group, I get an occasional dropout. Still a work in progress.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I dunno. I'm doing 2ch stereo audio (temporary solution while I'm in a transitional living space) using a TV optical,out, a Best Buy cheapie DAC, and a ZP80 connected to a pair of good computer speakers, plus a Play:3 grouped in to improve the bass. I don't get bothered by the delay. But since I have two play:3s in the group, I get an occasional dropout. Still a work in progress.
Regarding the delay, please, let me ask you this: when you are watching a movie on TV and if there is, let's say, a blast, or some sudden situation that's quite instantaneous or really quick to happen, would'n that make you feel uncomfortable, if the sound comes a bit later than what you just saw in the movie?

( I put this question here as I've just ordered one more Play:3 speaker and a Connect for my living room and kept the thought that it would be enough to get a decent basic stereo setup to get the sound from the TV, but then I red about the delay... 😕 )
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You should be able to adjust the audio delay in your TV settings. This may, or not, solve the problem.