Answered

Sonos Connect - Does analogue line-in fed to line-out remain analogue or convert to digital internally?

• 3 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi - I’m putting together a 2-channel audio setup featuring a turntable. I already have an older model Connect device. I’m wondering, if I wire like this:

Turntable >preamp > Connect Analog In > Connect Analog Out > receiver > speakers

When listening locally, will the signal be converted to digital at some point? Mainly, by going in and out of the Sonos Connect using the analog ports, will the signal remain analog all the way through for my local receiver?

I realize that when streaming to another device it will be converted, but I’m looking for a way to keep the signal analog when listening locally.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by buzz 3 January 2021, 16:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There will be A/D and D/A conversions in all cases. CONNECT is really two devices living in the same box. Analog input is digitized and prepared for network distribution. Line-Out fetches data from the network, passes it through the D/A converter, and on to the analog outputs. There is no direct connection between Line-In and Line-Out. You’ll notice that there is about a 70ms latency between Line-In and output from a player. This latency allows the system to ride over brief network stalls. If Line-In and Line-Out were directly connected, Line-Out would not be time aligned with other Grouped players.

Hi - I’m putting together a 2-channel audio setup featuring a turntable. I already have an older model Connect device. I’m wondering, if I wire like this:

Turntable >preamp > Connect Analog In > Connect Analog Out > receiver > speakers

When listening locally, will the signal be converted to digital at some point? Mainly, by going in and out of the Sonos Connect using the analog ports, will the signal remain analog all the way through for my local receiver?

I realize that when streaming to another device it will be converted, but I’m looking for a way to keep the signal analog when listening locally.

Thanks.

When set to uncompressed, there is zero advantage to "keeping it analog".  Per the Nyquist/Shannon sampling theorem, the analog output will be identical to the analog input for all audible frequencies.  There will be no loss of fidelity in the ADC/DAC process.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks. I don’t mind the latency, and I’m not sure if I mind the not “keeping it analog” without hearing it. I’m new to this and learning about vinyl setups, etc. I guess the purists would say to keep the signal analog throughout, but wonder if it’s discernible. Sounds like not?

Is the wiring I described the common way people use a turntable with Sonos setup?

I’m also considering getting an integrated amp. How could I wire in this situation and be able to both listen to streaming content on here, but also transmit the turntable signal if I want?

Would something like this work?

Turntable > Integrated Amp Analog In  > Speakers

Integrated Amp Out > Sonos Connect Analog In (for transmitting turntable signal to network)

Sonos Connect Optical Out > Integrated Amp Digital In > Speakers (for listening to streamed digital music local)

In this case, I guess I will have a loop somewhere. Not sure if this will cause problems?

hominamad,

There is a lot of snake oil plus good and bad science associated with both analog and digital. I’ve done some A/B testing with self identified ‘experts’. This is very difficult because one must use top turntables, amplifiers, speakers, and players, plus the levels must be matched EXACTLY. $200.00 turntables are a waste of time for this test. Plus, one needs absolutely top copies of the LP and CD rendering of the same recording session -- very few of these exist. I’d start the LP and CD synchronized and switch between ‘A’ and ‘B’ from time to time. Eventually there would be a click or pop from the LP and the listener could identify that trial. Unfortunately, the listener usually thought that they were listening to the other version. They would be livid that I had somehow tricked them and stomp out of the demonstration -- missing the whole point that, at the top, the dramatic difference that they assumed does not exist.

With respect to attempting to combine SONOS and traditional systems, you’ll run head on into the latency issue if SONOS driven speakers and traditionally driven speakers are within earshot -- unless the traditional system’s input is from a SONOS Line-Out (which, of course, is digital).