Sonos Connect causes Marantz SR5012 to "blink"

• 29 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Yesterday I exchanged the receivers in my audio setup from an older JVC to a Marantz SR5012 machine. The Marantz works fine playing radio (tuner) and TV (connected via HDMI), driving 4 speakers and a subwoofer. However, when I connect the Sonos Connect unit, via digital optical cable into the "CD" connector, the following happens:
* initially, everything is fine
* then I start the music stream on the Sonos app
* the receiver starts playing the music stream for maybe a second or two, and it sounds good
* then the Marantz receiver turns itself off, slowly blinking the red power LED (maybe 2/sec)

I have verified the cabling of my speakers, and found no issue (besides, they work fine with other music sources). I tried using a different optical cable, and even using an RCA connection - the issue remains the same. There is no problem with overheating the receiver (I probed the temperature, it's 81F/27C).

Any advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Does it work if you use the RCA connectors to link the two?

You could submit a diagnostic and post the number here for Sonos to look at the internals and see if the Connect is showing a problem.
How do I generate a diagnostic?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Click these menu items: (on Android) More, Settings, Advanced Settings, Submit Diagnostic.
OK, I did this. Will I get a reply from Sonos on this submission?
Only if you either post the number here, or call in tomorrow and give them the number over the phone.

... then the Marantz receiver turns itself off, slowly blinking the red power LED (maybe 2/sec)

Any advice?

From a fellow Marantz owner on avsforum.com:
Fast blinking red light (2x/sec) = amp failure, powering 4-ohm speakers too loud, speaker wire touching another post
Slow blinking red light (1x/2sec) = ventilation problem

'Amp failure' does not necessarily describe a hardware defect. There's word of similar issues in the past with a certain Marantz firmware update. Check if there are any new firmware updates available for your AVR model and install it first before checking for any improvement.