Question

Sonos Connect and Sonos Amp: Can I Use Together?

• 29 September 2017
  • 2 replies

So I've got a TV in the master BR. I've got left and right speakers powered by a SONO AMP in a different room so I can play music. I want to be able to connect the speakers to my TV using the SONOS connect via the Fiber connection to the TV. Can I then associate the L&R speakers connected to the AMP to get TV "Out"?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
You can connect audio out on your TV to audio in on your Connect:amp. That way the connected speakers can play TV sound. There will be a slight delay, so the sound won't sync with the picture or TV sound. When I do this, I have to mute my TV speakers.

You can use Line-In on your Connect:amp as the music source for any other Sonos gear that you might have. The speakers attached to the Connect:amp can even be playing something else while you play TV sound in a different room.

You can't use your fiber connection with a Connect:amp, only analog audio.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
So I've got a TV in the master BR. I've got left and right speakers powered by a SONO AMP in a different room so I can play music. I want to be able to connect the speakers to my TV using the SONOS connect via the Fiber connection to the TV. Can I then associate the L&R speakers connected to the AMP to get TV "Out"?

Yes, you can use the fibreoptic connection...... just not directly.

What you need is a little converter box which takes fibre in on one side and gives stereo phono/RCA/cinch out on the other. Search Amazon or Ebay for "Optical to analogue converter" You should find something around the £10-£15 / $15-$20 USD range. Depending on your TV, you might have a free USB socket which can be used to power the converter. If so, get one with the USB power cable. If not, then you'll need a wall socket spare for the power supply.

Note: The order of the words is important. Lots of folk mix up 'ins' and 'outs' in the mistaken belief that sockets are either bi-directional or that an 'out' socket is how they get a signal in to a device.

You'll also need to ensure the TV is set to give PCM Stereo audio out via optical. These little converters don't handle DD5.1 or DTS2.0; they're plain stereo-in-to-stereo-out devices.

Once you have the stereo phono signal connected to the Connect's line input then it will be accessible as a Line In signal to all the other Sonos devices in your house.

Turning down or muting the TV speakers is what we all do when playing our sound bars or surround systems. You'll have to do this manually as Optical carries no control information.

Good luck