Sonos Connect and active in ceiling speakers

• 27 February 2018
  • 5 replies

I already have a Sonos Connect, and is searching for a pair of active (amplified) in ceiling speakers to save me from buying a Sonos Connect AMP. I have found some relatively cheap and recommended bluetooth ceiling speakers, and would like to find out if these could be compatible with the Sonos Connect without any additional needs. The Bluetooth option itself is not a required option, it is more the solution of having the ability to integrate the ceiling speakers with the Sonos Connect which is the goal.

1. Pyle PDICBT852RD
This is a 2-way 8" bluetooth ceiling speaker sold in a pair, whereas 1 speaker is active and 1 is passive. It is also said to be compatible with home theather (i.e. possible to integrate). Then it also should be possible to connect the speakers to Sonos Connect?

2.Monocor SPE-230BT
Same as above, this is said to be an active in ceiling speaker sold in pair, whereas 1 is active and 1 is passive.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
As long as you hard wire from the RCA Out on the connect it should work but I would recommend as short a run as possible. In some cases you can set the speakers at a fixed volume & vary the input (output of the Connect) & it will work good but on some amps & amplified speakers they like a constant input & need their output power varied to change volume. I used my Connect ZP90 on a Yamaha CD/Cassette/Tuner & it worked fine syncing with the other SONOS equipment I have, I just had to find the right level to preset the Yamaha volume at for it to work well. The Monocor look nice but pricey for a speaker that your going to stick into a ceiling cavity. I would be building an appropriate box even if it is over vented to protect them & maybe improve sound quality.
Appreciate your input. Totally agree with you, the Monacor looks nice, but is pricey for sure. Especially with the uncertainty if it will work as supposed. Additionally, it seems as the Pyle speakers are more powerful. However, it will be included as part of a newbuild home, so I think the wifey needs to get a saying...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think you would be better served to run regular speaker wire to the ceiling speakers and buy regular speakers. Then since you have a connect - just get a cheap amplifier to hook to the connect to power the speakers from remote closet. That is more future proof and a less costly method (plus may even be better quality depending on speakers and amp you choose).

As you can see here a pyle 100w amp to hook to connect is fairly inexpensive https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA400U-100-Watt-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0071HZ5RI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519764411&sr=8-1&keywords=100w+amplifier+pyle
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
actually I have seen people recommend the Lepai Amp - just hook it to your connect then buy whatever regular speakers you want for ceiling.

http://a.co/8MpuM8p
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
parts express has lots of amplifier options https://www.parts-express.com/cat/home-audio-amplifiers/106