Answered

Sonos Connect:Amp with Kef q150 speakers

• 27 November 2018
  • 5 replies

I am looking to pair of Kef q150 with Sonos Connect:Amp. I see that the Connect:Amp give 55W per channel but the q150 require 10-100W. Does that mean that the Connect:Amp will underpower the speakers ? FYI.. the impedance of q150's are 8ohm.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 27 November 2018, 16:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi SKG99

The Connect :AMP will have no problems driving the Kef's. The 10-100W means that the Kef's will perform with as little as 10 watts and 100 watts pushing them to their full potential.

Cheers!
Thanks AjTrek1. With 55W per channel, can I assume that the output of the Kef's will be about half of their potential ? Also, do people typically configure a more powerful amp that what the speakers require ? Wondering what the typical practice is.
Userlevel 7
Hi SKG99

Thanks AjTrek1. With 55W per channel, can I assume that the output of the Kef's will be about half of their potentia
No you'll still get great performance...you'll just have to turn the level up a bit.

Also, do people typically configure a more powerful amp that what the speakers require ? Wondering what the typical practice is.
With a more powerful AMP you won't have to turn the level up to get a speaker to peak output. Think setting the level @ 10 O'clock with a 125 Watt per Channel amp vs setting the Level @ 12 O'clock with a 55 Watt per channel amp. Those are just approximations.

I typically use an AMP with output that exceeds the speaker rating. Also, without getting too technical Watts Per Channel is not the deciding factor for speaker performance. Things like RMS, Total Harmonic Distortion and Frequency Response are significant factors as well.

Hint: You might wait and purchase the new Sonos Amp that will deliver 125 Watts per channel.

Cheers!
Thank you AjTrek1 for your detailed response.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm thinking of the same speakers but with the much more powerful Sonos Amp when it comes out along with Sonos sub and Sonos One rears. It's a small living room and those Kefs should be fine.