Answered

Sonos connect amp units feel hot to touch

• 13 May 2018
  • 2 replies

Would be it ok to unplug the connect amps periodically when I am traveling to allow time to cool down?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 13 May 2018, 12:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Yes, but not because they are running hot. While playing they can get quite warm to the touch, even hot; but when silent they should be just a little warm and this is normal as long as they are in a ventilated place. They can be left in this state but they can also be powered down if they will not be used for some days.

In general it is also a good idea to power down most things in the home other than the fridges if travel is for an extended time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can do a few things to get them to run a bit cooler, a careful dusting with some canned air can remove a good bit of dust and lint allowing better cooling. Do power it down and let it cool a bit before you squirt cold air into it.

Adding a fan can help but the noise may be an issue and if it fails it will make the heat problem worse so I don't recommend that. An alternative to improve air flow is adding a chimney to the Amp to help the warm air rise faster, pulling more air through the unit. That is fail-safe, silent and best cheap. Just make a wrap of heavy craft paper around the outside of the amp and the length of your paper high and give it a try. I've done that to a couple other pieces of gear and with a 12 inch chimney seen several degrees of temp drop for under a buck.