Answered

Sonos Connect:Amp Gen1 and S2 compatibility

• 19 April 2021
  • 9 replies

I thought I read somewhere that later manufactured (serial numbered) Gen 1 Connect:Amps are S2 compatible.  Does anyone know what serial number year/month (first four numbers of the SN) is the start of S2 compatibility?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 April 2021, 21:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

You can check the System section of your Sonos account page to find out if your products are compatible with S2. Some products may not show what Gen they are, so look for Sonos S1 Required next to any products that are not compatible with S2.

I seem to recall that S2 compatible products relates to Connects manufactured after March 2015 - so ‘perhaps’ look for 1504 onwards at the start of the serial number on the unit, but that’s from memory, so you may need to corroborate this information by checking the information held in the assigned account.

Thanks.  I should have clarified that I am looking to buy a second Connect:Amp.  I have a Gen2 and want to create another zone for some wired speakers and prefer not to buy another Gen2 if I can use a later model Gen1.

Thanks.  I should have clarified that I am looking to buy a second Connect:Amp.  I have a Gen2 and want to create another zone for some wired speakers and prefer not to buy another Gen2 if I can use a later model Gen1.

By definition, in the case of the Connect:Amp, gen 1 is compatible with S1 only, gen 2 is compatible with S1 or S2.

The gen 1 and gen 2 were only really defined when S1 and S2 were introduced. 

I think the earliest gen 2 Connect we have seen is 1502. (It's likely to be the same for the C:A)

And I suspect that Sonos has learned from that issue. In the future, when they make chip changes in a device, they’ll likely be more assertive about announcing and delineating it. At the time, no one had an inkling that it would make a bit of difference down the line. My bet is that it was a cost thing...the older chips probably became more expensive than newer (faster, bigger) chips on the motherboard. Conjecture, though.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

To confirm there are some Connects dated 1502 that are Gen2 compatible. I have one and my system profile does not say it is Gen1 ( I have another 2 Connects that my profile informs me are Gen1)

But these are all Connects - not Connect Amps

@Ralpfocus . Do your Connects conform to the 'rule' that the gen 1 units have a mute symbol on the button,  whereas the gen 2s have a play/pause symbol? In fact, nobody seems totally sure it is a rule, but it seems to fit  

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@John B Yes the Gen 1 devices have the mute symbol, the Gen2 device has Play/Pause

Thanks for confirming.

For those not familiar with the background, the button now functions as a play/pause whatever the symbol

Badge

@Ralpfocus . Do your Connects conform to the 'rule' that the gen 1 units have a mute symbol on the button,  whereas the gen 2s have a play/pause symbol? In fact, nobody seems totally sure it is a rule, but it seems to fit  

I'm about to purchase a gen 2 Connect Amp (1508) that has a mute symbol. Does any one have a gen 2 connect amp with a mute button just to ease my mind.