Sonos Connect Amp and Speaker Volume

I just got a connect amp and wired it up with a pair of outdoor Polk Atrium 4 speakers. After I got everything installed I went to play some tunes... I had to have to volume to about 50% on the slide bar on the app before I really heard any music out of the speakers, and even then it wasn’t very loud and I was standing right next to the speakers. If I had the volume up to 80% or higher it got closer to a normal listening level, but didn’t leave much room for advancement. I typically listen to my play 1 or sound bar between 30-50% unless we are having a party.

I’ve read other reviews where the Sonos amp and a pair of outdoor speakers is blowing their neighbors away, I don’t feel like mine are getting that loud. Do I need better speakers or is it the amp?? I bought the amp open box excellent condition from Best Buy, I just want to make sure something isn’t wrong with it before my 15 day return window is up.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Thanks Jeff. I'm hold right now waiting for a phone team member...
Would you mind sharing the fix?
Badge
Anyone figure out this issue as I have the same bundle from Best Buy and are experiencing the same low volume issue?
Have you read the entire thread? There's several suggestions along the way that might assist you. If they don't, perhaps you would submit a system diagnostic, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Badge
Yes I have. Nothing directly relevant to my issue and I was hoping for a resolution other than contacting support but that appears to be my only option at this point.
Bruce, I read through the entire thread and other than speaker wire recommendations, it offers no real solutions other than sharing a diagnostic with Sonos. Not sure anyone has come back post diagnostic with a Sonos built solution. This is a VERY common issue that has no fix that I’m aware of.

I went to a different store that sells high end audio equipment. The guy was very familiar with the Sonos Connect Amp and suggested the volume at 50% before you hear sound issue was normal for that amp. He suggested it was the way Sonos digitizes the amp. The Sonance speakers sounded loud enough after I passed the 50% volume threshold. Won’t be able to install them outdoors until construction is finished. My question is, if this is a common issue why doesn’t SONOS just come out and say it’s within normal operating limits?

Btw, I was indoors using 10ft of 14 gauge wire.
Frankly, it's always the best. They would have access to any diagnostic you submit, and the potential to remote into your system while you're on the phone. The rest of us are building mental models, and making educated guesses. Good, often enough, but Sonos has access to much better data.
georgehuerta, our posts crossed in the ether.

Sorry, I don't have answers for you. I don't work for Sonos, nor do I have access to their engineering group in order to get the data you seek.

To my knowledge, based on the number of posts I've read here in this forum over the last several years, I wouldn't take the assumption that it is a common issue.

But then again, it doesn't impact me personally, so perhaps my perspective is skewed. At the end of the day, I'll continue to suggest direct contact with Sonos. Community forums are rarely an ideal way to get the true answers that you seem to need directly from Sonos.
Bruce, understood! Thank you!
Userlevel 2
I've been having this exact issue for months with the new sonos amp. New sonos amp, sonance outdoor speakers, short speaker wire runs (14-4 cable, about 20 feet). No line in. No grouping. And volume needs to be at about 50% before I can hear anything. Android, Apple, and PC apps are all suffering the same thing. Very odd. Sound quality is perfect, just VERY low compared to what I have the volume set to.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I've been having this exact issue for months with the new sonos amp. New sonos amp, sonance outdoor speakers, short speaker wire runs (14-4 cable, about 20 feet). No line in. No grouping. And volume needs to be at about 50% before I can hear anything. Android, Apple, and PC apps are all suffering the same thing. Very odd. Sound quality is perfect, just VERY low compared to what I have the volume set to.
Maybe this can be attributed to indoor vs outdoor, but I find the volume control on the new amp exactly how I would like it to be (for indoors in a fairly small room). I am using low sensitivity (83dB) 8 ohm speakers, and still I can easily hear the music with the slider very low, less than about 5%. With slider halfway the volume is about where I like to listen. Then there is a lot left on the slider control to go louder in a very controlled way.

I’m having the same issue with the low sound output while at 50% or less. Did anyone figure out the fix for this issue? I paid good money for the sonance mag 4.1 system. First time using a Sonos product and it’s been a bad experience.  I’m thinking about returning it.  

Have you attempted to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it? I’d certainly do that before returning it. Less effort than uninstalling, and you may get an answer to your issue  

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

With slider halfway the volume is about where I like to listen. Then there is a lot left on the slider control to go louder in a very controlled way.

The last bit is the not usually appreciated benefit of how the volume control on the Connect Amp has been architected, as opposed to that on most modern amps, where the max undistorted sound levels are delivered at about 50-60% of the volume control position. Effectively, the usable motion of their volume control slider is halved by doing this; and this is done to give a false sense of the power by having the amp go loud very early in the volume control movement.

As compared to any other amp with the same power delivery spec, at 100% of the volume control level, the Connect Amp will deliver the same sound levels as the other amp will, all other things like speaker/speaker placement being the same. But the other amp may do this at just 60% of it’s volume control max position, and do nothing more with further advancing the volume control except perhaps add distortion. On the other hand, at 100% the Connect Amp does not add any distortion to the sound being delivered.

But the outcome of this, to those that are used to the “more powerful” amps, is misleading them into thinking that there is something wrong with the Connect Amp up to its 50% volume slider mark. In a very few cases there may be something defective as the cause for this, but this is a rare event.

The solution is to not be shy in running the Connect Amp at any level above 50%; as long at it is kept in a ventilated place, and there are no speaker impedance drops to below 4 ohms on a sustained basis, the Connect Amp will run without engaging its protection circuitry.