Answered

Sonos Boost placed next to Port question

• 6 June 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a den (that has a Port hooked to an 8 channel Russound amp) next to an outdoor deck. When I sit 30’ from this den on the deck I can connect my phone to an upstairs wifi router / network with decent but occasional spotty connection. The router is 50’ from where I sit on the deck. If I put a Boost next to the Port in the den (30’ from where I sit outside) will this improve my connection with my Sonos App on my phone ? Or does the Port itself send a great signal and adding a Boost next to it would serve no additional benefit ? Thanks !!!

icon

Best answer by ratty 6 June 2021, 17:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Your phone doesn’t connect to any Sonos devices directly. It has to go via the WiFi.

If you have no Sonos device wired already then a Boost is useless. It isn’t a WiFi extender.

If you do have a Sonos device wired somewhere then presumably the SonosNet mesh is already working correctly.

It sounds like your WiFi connection is the problem. I suggest you invest in a proper WiFi extender to cover the deck area.

Thanks for the reply and info. The Port in my den is wired. I agree the wifi extender would help. Would adding a boost next to the wired port work any better ? I guess it sounds all like a wifi / phone issue. Thanks !!!! The boost is purely just to send signal from one Sonos device to another correct ?

Thanks for the reply and info. The Port in my den is wired. I agree the wifi extender would help. Would adding a boost next to the wired port work any better ? I guess it sounds all like a wifi / phone issue. Thanks !!!! The boost is purely just to send signal from one Sonos device to another correct ?

Yes. As I said, Boost has nothing to do with WiFi. 

As for SonosNet it would be pointless to add a Boost. The radio in a Port is actually better than a Boost’s.

Your problem is simply WiFi range/coverage. Since you have a wired connection to the den, get a WiFi access point and wire it in there. Separate it from the Port by at least 0.5m/2ft.

Thanks a ton !!!!!

Is “ratty” a reference to RATT ?  I'm a big big head banging fan……

NOZDOC out

I installed a TP-Link Omada 1750AC access point today. Worked like a charm !!!! Thanks. 
Probably overkill for my needs but better “beefy” than cheezy…...