Sonos Bluetooth Connect

• 29 October 2012
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I would like to see a Sonos product similar to the Sonos Connect/ZP90 but instead of connecting to an amplifier it has a Bluetooth connection supporting A2DP/ APT X. You could then stream music from your iPod/iPhone, android phone or any device with Bluetooth similar to the way the iPod dock works, or the line in on the Connect, but the connection is made via Bluetooth rather than a wire In addition it should support transmitting music via Bluetooth so that a Bluetooth speaker or headphones could be used and it would work like a traditional zone player transmitting the music to the device attached to the zone via Bluetooth. I think this one device would meet the needs of some other requests here for sonos headphones, portable speakers and being able to play music directly from a PC/iPad etc as this could all be done over Bluetooth and using A2DP/APT X would give a good quality sound.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 1
Perhaps add to the Bridge?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I'd also believe that a bluetooth bridge should be built into the Sonos Connect (ZP 90) device. Critical functionality would be the ability to connect to multiple devices simultaneously and if possible play different music (or at least mute) to each bluetooth device. I would use this capability to stream much to bluetooth headphones and one of these: http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Moxie%22-Showerhead-+-Wireless-Speaker/content/CNT16200089.htm Thanks!
Userlevel 1
I'd also believe that a bluetooth bridge should be built into the Sonos Connect (ZP 90) device. Critical functionality would be the ability to connect to multiple devices simultaneously and if possible play different music (or at least mute) to each bluetooth device. I would use this capability to stream much to bluetooth headphones and one of these: http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Moxie%22-Showerhead-+-Wireless-Speaker/content/CNT16200089.htm Thanks!
I have SONOS components in most areas of my house and use it daily for music, radio, and podcasts. But there are many occasions when I need to shut down zones so as not to disturb others. What I need is for the iPhone (or Android) client to not only act as a controller but as a player also. In this way I could continue to listen via my iPhone and bluetooth headset. Not concerned about playing on the pc as I have normal SONOS devices for this but have no way to listen in private while moving around the house.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
If you'd like the mobile controller to be a player as well, please vote for this idea:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/ios_device_as_a_sonos_zone_play_sonos_music_on_a_iphone_ipod_or_i...
Every other wireless speaker on the market does bluetooth audio. Why not sonos?
Badge +1
There are two ideas in the orignal post:
  • Bluetooth into Sonos (i.e. from iPhone to Sonos): there are the Sonos apps for iOS, Android etc which already do this via Wifi at better quality and lower power consumption;
  • Bluetooth out of Sonos: I would love Sonos headphones, a portable battery Sonos etc but I do not think that Bluetooth is the answer: the slightly different time delay between a Wifi connection and a Bluetooth connection means that the devices would always be slightly out of sync which rather defeats the object (and the beauty) of Sonos.   Also, from Sonos' point of view, it is not going to cannibalise its  own speaker market by letting customers buy just one bridge for USD 50 and then interface with third party Bluetooth products.
Much as I really want additionally connectivity, I think it has got to be via Wifi not via Bluetooth.  
From a competitive standpoint, Sonos has ceded an opportunity to compete in the portable bluetooth speaker market.  Why not develop a portable bluetooth speaker which could compete with Bose, Sony, Jambox, etc?  It is an "entry point" for many new consumers.  Behavior being what it is, Bose will have an advantage when the owner of a Soundlink III decides to "move up".  LOL it also aggravates me to have to purchase a Bose for my traveling/portable speaker needs.
Userlevel 2
It seems that sonos has some prinicples against bluetooth in general. When I first started with this I thought this can fly long time but now I get the feeling that this is not designed to get the maximum joy. As people writing most logical enhamcement beeing entirely ignorted after two years time I feel not with the right technology anymore. It is not a secret bluetooth is standard for audio communication. Head-set, telephone, sound speaker,etc, any more that even my grandfather listens to music via bluetooth in the car. There is no space for ignorance on such estsblished way sending audio into a speaker. I found it way too much money for sonos not building such importance into there ecosystem. This has been said after finding out that their smart apps are old not improved and limited in the sence of sending audio from devices, audible is not supoorted and anyway the way it is done to us sonos app instead of the actual app ie. spotify is rsther stupid and shows another company that looks customers in their own legacy world. All i have been reading on this useful feedback is , ah "yes, sonos has already everything in the app what you need" this is sucks and not true! Why would people otherwise ask for it??? This shows a lazy development cycle and just csshing in without further development... I hope I'm wrong because I of course liked the inital idea but as bluetooth speakers are getting more common I might need to rethink this becaus I have a little differnt understanding of wireless speakers... The workaround with apples airport is only for apple devices and on top uses cable so bad quality. Bluetooth should be right in the sonos connect device point why would this be delayed? Really shitty argument and not true! It's the same as the legacy line in that which is 30 years old technology sending audio signal analog!!! Sorry for putting this out loud but I'm tired of this lazy comments from the sonos support;)
Userlevel 2
  • Bluetooth into Sonos (i.e. from iPhone to Sonos): there are the Sonos apps for iOS, Android etc which already do this via Wifi at better quality and lower power consumption;
  • Bluetooth out of Sonos: I would love Sonos headphones, a portable battery Sonos etc but I do not think that Bluetooth is the answer: the slightly different time delay between a Wifi connection and a Bluetooth connection means that the devices would always be slightly out of sync which rather defeats the object (and the beauty) of Sonos.   Also, from Sonos' point of view, it is not going to cannibalise its  own speaker market by letting customers buy just one bridge for USD 50 and then interface with third party Bluetooth products.
Much as I really want additionally connectivity, I think it has got to be via Wifi not via Bluetooth.  

Alex, your points are giving me the understanding thst your only concern is "not to canibalise". 1. You dont seem to understand why people wrting these comments. Your app does not allow us to use any random app to send the audio signal into your sonos system by default! Any solution of buying aditional hardware to find a workaround is a sign of weakness in sonos. Your ios,android app supports a few apps like spotify, itunes, etc BUT it is not the same user expirience since the sonos app has a completly user interface and limitation or is missing on functionalty that is in the actual app ie spotify. I dont know anyone who would prefare using the sonos app managing spotify than actually the realy spotify, thos counts for most othet apps.. It is not needed to have these apps inthere (unless sonos has some commercials around to benefit from this). Bluetooth in the same sense it currently has line-in on the sonos connect is really what is needed from a user!! 2. With the right commercials sonos would not have to worry. I would spend more on the connect when it becomes more inteligent and bluetooth is of course helping. When you talk about wifi then I like to remind that others use wifi to streem directoy from the device ie.youtube apple is using airplay,. Why is is not coming after such a long time then?? Please listen and think about this. Otherwise people will not buy such luxery speaker system in the future. Bluethooth speaker are already cheaper...
Userlevel 2
This is a really good idea!!!
Userlevel 2
It cant be so difficult to integrate bloototh, as line-in is already build in..
As bluetooth is designed i don't think  it is possible to make a router for it. I think the best way to go would be to make a simple "bluetooth play", that pairs to one device at a time, supporting A2DP and AVRCP profiles, preferebly the APT-X codec.
It will work with most headset and bluetooth speakers with paus-,play- ffw-, rew- and volume- buttons.
A connect feature to stream from players and phones would be less usefull.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Will sonos ever offer a Bluetooth option, and internal battery for the play 1 so yo can take it on the go? My play 1 would rock the beach..
I've had the exact same want since setting up a basic Sonos system. I would love to see a small portable speaker (battery powered) that simply has dual-band functionality toggle with a hardware switch. Toggle to Bluetooth mode and it operates just as current Soundlink, Jambox, etc speakers operate, so that you can take it out of the home. But then, when you are AT home in the true Sonos environment, toggle the switch to Wi-Fi mode so that it can pair to your Sonos network but still operate via battery, allowing you to take it into smaller or less used rooms in the house or apt which do not make sense for whatever reason to add a dedicated Play1 or other AC powered true Sonos speaker.
I would buy one in a second. Best of both worlds and would prompt Sonos users who want a portable speaker to further buy into the Sonos ecosystem. Seems like an R&D no-brainer to me.
codename: "Sonos:Go"  🙂
I am very surprised Sonos does not support Bluetooth. I'm considering taking it back and getting a Bose system.
I agree! I am at a clients house and was stoked to see a speaker in the bathroom. Less stoked that I couldn't connect and play my own tunes to shower to. Even less stoked to listen to Spice Girls...
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have to admit that i was on the fense for BT for quite some time, but using Bluetooth with my Sonos changed my perception. 

The limited range of 30ft or less between sender and receiver is painful. The music stream stops every time the sending device leaves that range. It may just be me, but i carry my phone always in my pocket even when its playing music. Every time i leave said range everything stops. 
Answering a phone call, guess what? The music stops ... 

If one still insists on Bluetooth, there are plenty of inexpensive apt-X compatible BT receivers that can be easily plugged into the line-in on a Play5 or Connect to allow BT streaming across all Sonos speakers if this is a must have. 

http://www.amazon.com/Brightech-trade-Functionality-Non-Bluetooth-Simultaneously/dp/B00E3FHXYO 

http://amzn.to/1zSV3sr

AirPlay maybe the better solution as it uses the WiFi connection and as such supports any range within the wifi coverage. Retrofitting works the same way as a BT receiver with starting price points that a similar to the BT dongles, even though Sonos recommends Airport Express.

http://amzn.to/1JiW05K

I like the idea of a inbuilt BT in a Boost/Bridge, but they are meant to be placed strategically around a house to build a solid mesh network and not necessarily within sight, with a BT adapter the flexibility would be voided and would turn it into an extra expensive BT dongle.
Since I have given it some time, I have learned to work around not having BT on Sonos and it has worked pretty good. I was able to find the music streaming site I like in the app and now I do not miss BT as much.
Userlevel 1
Or... AirPlay for that matter. I've now resolved to "AirSonos" on my Mac a free app that uses Sonos' lan connection somehow. It works, running from the Unix Terminal, with obvious delays. I output my iPhone's sound from djay 2 to an AirPlay pseudo-device AirSonos creates and can then finally stream from anywhere in the house, via AirPlay/wifi/Mac/AirSonos/wifi/Bridge/players. No wonder it lags a bit. But it works!
Userlevel 3
Because your iphone or device has to be available to play the music. SONOS is designed so that you can set and forget. Meaning - you can leave the house with your phone, and it'll still play music from your itunes library, pandora, etc.

thank you Tony...this is a very important point that SONOS seems to be ignoring OR somehow is unable to understand...in both cases, this is a major concern to me as I've spent a bunch of dollars on a Play5 and I'm now forced to go and buy a completed different Speaker to stream in a way that works with my apps and services. Massive fail SONOS...listen to your customers.
Then why allow an audio aux input? If you disconnect it and leave the house, the audio will stop!!! Or...maybe, just maybe, it would be better to add a feature that would make customers happy...customers that have spent thousands on sonos hardware...but can't play an audible book (or any unsupported audio/video service only available as an app on their phone). Defending Sonos for not including a useful feature (obviously a desired feature because literally every Bluetooth speaker and car audio system supports it!), is just ridiculous fanboyism. I spent 2 grand on wireless speakers and I can't listen to a bunch of stuff I want to via my phone. A problem that could easily be solved with a Bluetooth receiver built in to each speaker. It's like a $5 chip. There's no excuse in 2015 to not include this.
As bluetooth is designed i don't think  it is possible to make a router for it. I think the best way to go would be to make a simple "bluetooth play", that pairs to one device at a time, supporting A2DP and AVRCP profiles, preferebly the APT-X codec.
It will work with most headset and bluetooth speakers with paus-,play- ffw-, rew- and volume- buttons.
A connect feature to stream from players and phones would be less usefull.

Speak for yourself. I would find it exceedingly useful to be able to output Bluetooth audio to my entire house-wide sonos system via the connect (or soundbar) controllers. I would ALSO find it useful to be able to connect directly to each speaker if a central/bridge connection is not available because it's too far away for Bluetooth.
I agree too, lack of AirPlay and lack of blue tooth is a major product flaw in Sonos speakers!