Answered

sonos are suggesting i replace my bridge with Boost - why?

• 26 August 2019
  • 39 replies

Just received email from Sonos suggesting I replace my bridge with a boost. The mail is non specific as to why? Just really says it’s old!

my bridge is used as a stand alone booster to extend range of my Sonos to the garden (which is well covered by a mesh Wi-Fi system).

What exactly is “wrong” with bridge (apart from the known dodgy psu) that warrants replacement? Or is this a warning for end of support?
icon

Best answer by ratty 26 August 2019, 18:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Will it guarantee me no dropouts though?
Of course not. Every home's wireless environment is unique.
Nothing guaranties no dropouts. Simple physics can not be overcome. It should improve things, however.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I’ve had the same email and the limited offer of 30% off a Boost saying “Bridge was released more than ten years ago and is no longer able to support the demands of your system. To improve your listening experience with better connectivity and fewer dropouts, we recommend upgrading to Boost.”

I rarely have dropouts with the existing Bridge, and attribute most I have had to the now removed ‘on this iPhone’ feature and so I do want to retain use of the separate Sonosnet.

If I get the Boost will it improve connectivity on my components given they are all fairly old? I have a Play 5, Play 3’s and Connects, none can be wired to my router.

Should I hold out until the Bridge starts seriously causing problems in case the five year old Boost is updated in the near future?

Thanks
I'd assume that there's a time limit on that 30% offer. If you don't feel that you'd be put out by not getting 30% off of a newer device when your BRIDGE fails, there's no reason that you must replace the BRIDGE now.

You've always got the opportunity to just wire one of your speakers, and it will act in the same manner, setting up the SonosNet network for you.

I'd assume at some point there's not enough power in the BRIDGE in terms of CPU/Memory that it will no longer support the software Sonos is using, since it is restricted to SonosNet 1.0, rather than the SonosNet 2.0 that the BOOST uses. But we're not there yet, and it could easily be many years before that happens.

Last i checked, the BOOST was about $100, not a large investment when compared to a speaker....especially if you take 30% off the top.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Thanks

Do you know if the older Sonos components I have also use Sonosnet 2.0 rather than 1.0 (original Play 5, Play 3 and Connect)? Presumably there is only a benefit to me if they do, at least currently.
Everything uses SonosNet 2.0, except for the ancient ZP100, ZP80 ... and Bridge.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Thanks both, that’s helpful so does sound like some merit in me purchasing a Boost, though as the discount code runs to 31 December I’ve got a little time still to decide on this.
Thanks both, that’s helpful so does sound like some merit in me purchasing a Boost, though as the discount code runs to 31 December I’ve got a little time still to decide on this.
In the time you have remaining to make your decision, it seems sensible to perhaps also try running your Sonos system on the routers WiFi signal, to see how well that performs. If it’s fine, then you may not need to buy the Boost at all... here is a useful Sonos Support article that details how to switch the Sonos System between the 'wired' (Boost) mode and the wireless (WiFi) Mode.

Switching Sonos Modes

I recently replaced my Bridge with the Boost.  No particular reason.  It does seem to improve connectivity and performance of my devices, but it could be my mind playing tricks to justify the modest upgrade expense.  Psycho-acoustics are what it’s all about, right?  8-)

There’s nothing psycho-acoustic about a network connection. It either works, and delivers the audio packets on time, or it doesn’t. In the latter case the audio drops out; there’s no gradual degradation.

There’s nothing psycho-acoustic about a network connection. It either works, and delivers the audio packets on time, or it doesn’t. In the latter case the audio drops out; there’s no gradual degradation.

You did see my smiley face emoji, right?

You did see my smiley face emoji, right?

I missed that bit. But then this board has real emojis selectable in the post edit box. :wink:

Badge +2

Everything uses SonosNet 2.0, except for the ancient ZP100, ZP80 ... and Bridge.

...and that’s why I’m not interested. The core of my system is a trio of ZP100s. Plus a couple of Play 3s and a Play 5 which is maybe why they sent me the message. Never listening to more than two audio streams at a time.

(Small house… don’t really need a bridge except the ZP100 I had connected via Ethernet to start things off is also hooked up to a subwoofer and even after I switched to a shielded cables for the subwoofer hookup and ethernet, I could hear a low pitched flutter when the network was active.)

They are sending out an email with a discount code valid till 12/31/2019 for 30% off a Boost. Not sure if its public or not, don’t see why it wouldn’t be okay to post for the Sonos community. Guess they can take it down if not allowed. I just ordered mine as we are starting to get almost daily stops in play compared to almost never having an issue.

Here is a portion of the email:

Bridge was released more than ten years ago and is no longer able to support the demands of your system. To improve your listening experience with better connectivity and fewer dropouts, we recommend upgrading to Boost.

We want you to have the best possible experience with your Sonos system, so we are offering a limited-time offer:
Save 30% on Boost

Use activation code:
BRV30-X5MFFBBM3K
Once you receive Boost, be sure to follow these instructions before removing Bridge.