Answered

sonos are suggesting i replace my bridge with Boost - why?

• 26 August 2019
  • 39 replies

Just received email from Sonos suggesting I replace my bridge with a boost. The mail is non specific as to why? Just really says it’s old!

my bridge is used as a stand alone booster to extend range of my Sonos to the garden (which is well covered by a mesh Wi-Fi system).

What exactly is “wrong” with bridge (apart from the known dodgy psu) that warrants replacement? Or is this a warning for end of support?
icon

Best answer by ratty 26 August 2019, 18:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Apart from the PSU issue, Bridge is a remnant of the inferior SonosNet 1.0 technology.
Ok- that’s a technological answer!
isit only inferior range compared to boost, or is there anything else it doesn’t “do”?
Basically it's a first generation radio. (We're on at least the third generation, introduced with Beam.)

So less range, less interference rejection.
Ok thx - so if I don’t have a range problem or interference problem it will soldier on for a bit longer..
Also another related point- if I buy an ikea Sonos speaker I assume that has the later chipsets and will give me the benefit of later sonosnet and some music for £99 rather than £100 - 30% or £84 in John Lewis?
Also another related point- if I buy an ikea Sonos speaker I assume that has the later chipsets and will give me the benefit of later sonosnet and some music for £99 rather than £100 - 30% or £84 in John Lewis?
You mean an IKEA bookshelf speaker instead of a Boost? I have no idea what quality of radio is in the IKEA units.

Boost was designed up to a spec, with enhanced interference rejection, to operate close to a router. One would imagine that the IKEA kit has been designed with cost as a primary consideration.
Ok thanks for the reply. I imagine it’s too expensive to design an alternate radio chipset for the ikea speaker, presumably a lower spec audio amp and cheaper materials. And probably a lower margin for IKEA.

im sure someone will break one and have a look! I can’t imagine a Sonos 1 costs more than £40-50 at the Shenzhen factory gate?
There are tear-down and hacking videos for the One and the IKEA speakers if you care to search them out.
Just wanted to check... your Bridge is used 'stand slone'. I assume you have another Sonos device wired to your network?
Just wanted to check... your Bridge is used 'stand slone'. I assume you have another Sonos device wired to your network?
There must be. Unwired Bridges and Boosts simply vanish into thin air if a system switches to WiFi mode.
A Connect is Ethernet connected to my router, the bridge is only used try and extend the Sonos as far as our Summerhouse maybe 50-60m away. The Wi-Fi is no problem as I use 4x BT whole home mesh Wi-Fi nodes
I would have to wonder if there’s an upcoming change in the way the software/transmission works that makes SonosNet 1.0 no longer viable, and in order to mitigate issues, they’re attempting to get people to upgrade before that happens.
I would have to wonder if there’s an upcoming change in the way the software/transmission works that makes SonosNet 1.0 no longer viable, and in order to mitigate issues, they’re attempting to get people to upgrade before that happens.
But ZP100 and ZP80 use SonosNet 1.0.

Perhaps Sonos is being forced, by no-nothing magazine reviewers, to embrace "hi-rez" for no good technical reasons. It's mentioned in virtually every review as a "negative" of Sonos vs the competition. Would be sad, but marketing forces being what they are, who knows?
Aha, I had forgotten. So, it’s not what I suggested at all.

I would have to wonder if there’s an upcoming change in the way the software/transmission works that makes SonosNet 1.0 no longer viable, and in order to mitigate issues, they’re attempting to get people to upgrade before that happens.Perhaps Sonos is being forced, by no-nothing magazine reviewers, to embrace "hi-rez" for no good technical reasons. It's mentioned in virtually every review as a "negative" of Sonos vs the competition. Would be sad, but marketing forces being what they are, who knows?

Possibly, but a more likely explanation is that Bridge is simply a growing support issue. Flaky PSUs can cause intermittent hard-to-trace problems. And as the linchpin of a SonosNet mode system Bridge has been outclassed for nigh on five years by Boost. Sat beside ever-more-powerful routers Bridge could well be feeling rather overwhelmed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Interesting topic, as I’m also using a Bridge somewhere halfway the house to extend Sonosnet coverage.
The Bridge is hardwired and currently I’m not experiencing any issue.
Is there a way to check which Sonosnet is being used?

ps, I’m still using Sonos 9.1 on the iMac. My iOS devices all using SonoPad/SonoPhone and do not provide Sonosnet info
The Bridge is hardwired and currently I’m not experiencing any issue.
Good.

Is there a way to check which Sonosnet is being used?

Devices with SonosNet 1.0 -- ZP100, ZP80 and Bridge -- will talk that to their immediate neighbours. Anything else will be using SonosNet 2.0.

ps, I’m still using Sonos 9.1 on the iMac.

Any particular reason you're so out of date?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thanks for the info ratty.
The other Sonos component hardwired to my router is an ZP90. If that one is using Sonosnet 2.0, is the Bridge now limiting to Sonosnet 1.0 to my other wireless Sonos speakers?
The router and ZP90 are on the ground floor, Bridge and other speakers on second floor.

Wrt being hopeless outdated, I have no need to upgrade since I’m using SonoPad which I prefer above the Sonos app. Also my CR200 is still alive and kicking on 7.4...... 😉
The other Sonos component hardwired to my router is an ZP90. If that one is using Sonosnet 2.0, is the Bridge now limiting to Sonosnet 1.0 to my other wireless Sonos speakers?
The router and ZP90 are on the ground floor, Bridge and other speakers on second floor.

As I say, the Bridge will be using SonosNet 1.0 to the wireless units which it's supporting directly.

The ZP90 would be talking SonosNet 2.0 to the ones on the ground floor, though it doesn't sound like you have any. It might be talking to some of the wireless devices on the second floor.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
As I say, the Bridge will be using SonosNet 1.0 to the wireless units which it's supporting directly.

Sounds logical. I never realized this as I did not yet experienced any issue. Good to know though.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The main reason for Sonos to do this, is probably (apart from the power issue) to fork out another expensive product. (Norway: NOK999 for a simple wired repeater in blinding 'i-stuff' white..) So if it still works, don't change it.
Even if I suspect they omit Bridge support in the next big release, in that case, your system is going down.. :p
I got mine just four years ago (included when I bought two additional Sonos:1) to extend the SonosNet to my garage to be used for wifi internet access on my Android units, but they effectively killed that function as well..
No support for room correction on Android either.
Even so, I love the concept! 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Same situation as OP. Think it is the 2nd time I received the mail?

Interestingly, I searched sonos.com straight off for the boost and could not see it for sale? Are they flogging these off as soon to be not needed in any case and this is part of the 'shifting the stock'?

Wired Bridge, ZP100 & ZP80
Wireless ZP100, ZP80, 2x Play:1, 1x Play:3

Do I 'need' a Boost? Sits by the router. Some drops experienced but no idea why.
Do I 'need' a Boost? Sits by the router. Some drops experienced but no idea why.
You may have answered your own question.

A Boost is designed to sit in close proximity to sources of interference, such as a router. You should still try to separate them by 50cm, but a Boost will do much better than a Bridge. Also, Bridge only supports the old, weaker, SonosNet 1.0.

https://www.sonos.com/shop/boost.html
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Will it guarantee me no dropouts though?