Answered

sonos are suggesting i replace my bridge with Boost - why?

• 26 August 2019
  • 39 replies

Just received email from Sonos suggesting I replace my bridge with a boost. The mail is non specific as to why? Just really says it’s old!

my bridge is used as a stand alone booster to extend range of my Sonos to the garden (which is well covered by a mesh Wi-Fi system).

What exactly is “wrong” with bridge (apart from the known dodgy psu) that warrants replacement? Or is this a warning for end of support?
icon

Best answer by ratty 26 August 2019, 18:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

They are sending out an email with a discount code valid till 12/31/2019 for 30% off a Boost. Not sure if its public or not, don’t see why it wouldn’t be okay to post for the Sonos community. Guess they can take it down if not allowed. I just ordered mine as we are starting to get almost daily stops in play compared to almost never having an issue.

Here is a portion of the email:

Bridge was released more than ten years ago and is no longer able to support the demands of your system. To improve your listening experience with better connectivity and fewer dropouts, we recommend upgrading to Boost.

We want you to have the best possible experience with your Sonos system, so we are offering a limited-time offer:
Save 30% on Boost

Use activation code:
BRV30-X5MFFBBM3K
Once you receive Boost, be sure to follow these instructions before removing Bridge.
Badge +2

Everything uses SonosNet 2.0, except for the ancient ZP100, ZP80 ... and Bridge.

...and that’s why I’m not interested. The core of my system is a trio of ZP100s. Plus a couple of Play 3s and a Play 5 which is maybe why they sent me the message. Never listening to more than two audio streams at a time.

(Small house… don’t really need a bridge except the ZP100 I had connected via Ethernet to start things off is also hooked up to a subwoofer and even after I switched to a shielded cables for the subwoofer hookup and ethernet, I could hear a low pitched flutter when the network was active.)

There’s nothing psycho-acoustic about a network connection. It either works, and delivers the audio packets on time, or it doesn’t. In the latter case the audio drops out; there’s no gradual degradation.

You did see my smiley face emoji, right?

I missed that bit. But then this board has real emojis selectable in the post edit box. :wink:

There’s nothing psycho-acoustic about a network connection. It either works, and delivers the audio packets on time, or it doesn’t. In the latter case the audio drops out; there’s no gradual degradation.

You did see my smiley face emoji, right?

I recently replaced my Bridge with the Boost.  No particular reason.  It does seem to improve connectivity and performance of my devices, but it could be my mind playing tricks to justify the modest upgrade expense.  Psycho-acoustics are what it’s all about, right?  8-)

Thanks both, that’s helpful so does sound like some merit in me purchasing a Boost, though as the discount code runs to 31 December I’ve got a little time still to decide on this.
In the time you have remaining to make your decision, it seems sensible to perhaps also try running your Sonos system on the routers WiFi signal, to see how well that performs. If it’s fine, then you may not need to buy the Boost at all... here is a useful Sonos Support article that details how to switch the Sonos System between the 'wired' (Boost) mode and the wireless (WiFi) Mode.

Switching Sonos Modes
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Thanks both, that’s helpful so does sound like some merit in me purchasing a Boost, though as the discount code runs to 31 December I’ve got a little time still to decide on this.
Everything uses SonosNet 2.0, except for the ancient ZP100, ZP80 ... and Bridge.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Thanks

Do you know if the older Sonos components I have also use Sonosnet 2.0 rather than 1.0 (original Play 5, Play 3 and Connect)? Presumably there is only a benefit to me if they do, at least currently.
I'd assume that there's a time limit on that 30% offer. If you don't feel that you'd be put out by not getting 30% off of a newer device when your BRIDGE fails, there's no reason that you must replace the BRIDGE now.

You've always got the opportunity to just wire one of your speakers, and it will act in the same manner, setting up the SonosNet network for you.

I'd assume at some point there's not enough power in the BRIDGE in terms of CPU/Memory that it will no longer support the software Sonos is using, since it is restricted to SonosNet 1.0, rather than the SonosNet 2.0 that the BOOST uses. But we're not there yet, and it could easily be many years before that happens.

Last i checked, the BOOST was about $100, not a large investment when compared to a speaker....especially if you take 30% off the top.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I’ve had the same email and the limited offer of 30% off a Boost saying “Bridge was released more than ten years ago and is no longer able to support the demands of your system. To improve your listening experience with better connectivity and fewer dropouts, we recommend upgrading to Boost.”

I rarely have dropouts with the existing Bridge, and attribute most I have had to the now removed ‘on this iPhone’ feature and so I do want to retain use of the separate Sonosnet.

If I get the Boost will it improve connectivity on my components given they are all fairly old? I have a Play 5, Play 3’s and Connects, none can be wired to my router.

Should I hold out until the Bridge starts seriously causing problems in case the five year old Boost is updated in the near future?

Thanks
Nothing guaranties no dropouts. Simple physics can not be overcome. It should improve things, however.
Will it guarantee me no dropouts though?
Of course not. Every home's wireless environment is unique.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Will it guarantee me no dropouts though?
Do I 'need' a Boost? Sits by the router. Some drops experienced but no idea why.
You may have answered your own question.

A Boost is designed to sit in close proximity to sources of interference, such as a router. You should still try to separate them by 50cm, but a Boost will do much better than a Bridge. Also, Bridge only supports the old, weaker, SonosNet 1.0.

https://www.sonos.com/shop/boost.html
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Same situation as OP. Think it is the 2nd time I received the mail?

Interestingly, I searched sonos.com straight off for the boost and could not see it for sale? Are they flogging these off as soon to be not needed in any case and this is part of the 'shifting the stock'?

Wired Bridge, ZP100 & ZP80
Wireless ZP100, ZP80, 2x Play:1, 1x Play:3

Do I 'need' a Boost? Sits by the router. Some drops experienced but no idea why.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The main reason for Sonos to do this, is probably (apart from the power issue) to fork out another expensive product. (Norway: NOK999 for a simple wired repeater in blinding 'i-stuff' white..) So if it still works, don't change it.
Even if I suspect they omit Bridge support in the next big release, in that case, your system is going down.. :p
I got mine just four years ago (included when I bought two additional Sonos:1) to extend the SonosNet to my garage to be used for wifi internet access on my Android units, but they effectively killed that function as well..
No support for room correction on Android either.
Even so, I love the concept! 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
As I say, the Bridge will be using SonosNet 1.0 to the wireless units which it's supporting directly.

Sounds logical. I never realized this as I did not yet experienced any issue. Good to know though.
The other Sonos component hardwired to my router is an ZP90. If that one is using Sonosnet 2.0, is the Bridge now limiting to Sonosnet 1.0 to my other wireless Sonos speakers?
The router and ZP90 are on the ground floor, Bridge and other speakers on second floor.

As I say, the Bridge will be using SonosNet 1.0 to the wireless units which it's supporting directly.

The ZP90 would be talking SonosNet 2.0 to the ones on the ground floor, though it doesn't sound like you have any. It might be talking to some of the wireless devices on the second floor.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thanks for the info ratty.
The other Sonos component hardwired to my router is an ZP90. If that one is using Sonosnet 2.0, is the Bridge now limiting to Sonosnet 1.0 to my other wireless Sonos speakers?
The router and ZP90 are on the ground floor, Bridge and other speakers on second floor.

Wrt being hopeless outdated, I have no need to upgrade since I’m using SonoPad which I prefer above the Sonos app. Also my CR200 is still alive and kicking on 7.4...... 😉
The Bridge is hardwired and currently I’m not experiencing any issue.
Good.

Is there a way to check which Sonosnet is being used?

Devices with SonosNet 1.0 -- ZP100, ZP80 and Bridge -- will talk that to their immediate neighbours. Anything else will be using SonosNet 2.0.

ps, I’m still using Sonos 9.1 on the iMac.

Any particular reason you're so out of date?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Interesting topic, as I’m also using a Bridge somewhere halfway the house to extend Sonosnet coverage.
The Bridge is hardwired and currently I’m not experiencing any issue.
Is there a way to check which Sonosnet is being used?

ps, I’m still using Sonos 9.1 on the iMac. My iOS devices all using SonoPad/SonoPhone and do not provide Sonosnet info

I would have to wonder if there’s an upcoming change in the way the software/transmission works that makes SonosNet 1.0 no longer viable, and in order to mitigate issues, they’re attempting to get people to upgrade before that happens.Perhaps Sonos is being forced, by no-nothing magazine reviewers, to embrace "hi-rez" for no good technical reasons. It's mentioned in virtually every review as a "negative" of Sonos vs the competition. Would be sad, but marketing forces being what they are, who knows?

Possibly, but a more likely explanation is that Bridge is simply a growing support issue. Flaky PSUs can cause intermittent hard-to-trace problems. And as the linchpin of a SonosNet mode system Bridge has been outclassed for nigh on five years by Boost. Sat beside ever-more-powerful routers Bridge could well be feeling rather overwhelmed.
Aha, I had forgotten. So, it’s not what I suggested at all.