Sonos App for Apple TV 4

• 31 October 2015
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Just got the new Apple TV, and the possibility for apps are fantastic. I can see my TV moving towards a hone center. My question is, if anyone else feels the urge for a Sonos app for Apple TV? I would love one!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Badge
+1

A beautiful designed app für #tvOS would totally make sense.
How does one access an app on the Apple TV?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes a good Apple TV app would be perfect! I love the new functions of the Apple TV and every time I've watched something or played a game I would love to switch to a Sonos app and start the music.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes, an AppleTv 4th gen app would be a no brainier.

One essential piece of it would be to allow the speakers connected to the AppleTv system be selectable as an output destination.

There is no reason not to do this other than internal politics (i.e. They don't want to risk loosing Play Bar sales by allowing the speakers connected to the AppleTv to be a output destination)
There is no reason not to do this other than internal politics (i.e. They don't want to risk loosing Play Bar sales by allowing the speakers connected to the AppleTv to be a output destination)

That's not "internal politics", it is simple economics. Unless Sonos management has some sort of internal struggle between the "make money" and "go out of business" factions?
One essential piece of it would be to allow the speakers connected to the AppleTv system be selectable as an output destination.
Great. And while they're at it, why not enable Bluesound, Denon, Samsung and LG speakers to be unofficial extensions of the Sonos system without a trace of revenue for Sonos.

For some reason the words 'commercial' and 'suicide' spring to mind...
No AppleTV app? My Sonos is useless to me now! Now I have to STILL reach for my iPhone while watching AppleTV to listen to music! So inconvenient! This company is going under!

😃
I believe SONOS should provide all equipment to anyone who wants it for free. No, that s a misstatement. They should PAY US to use their hardware and software. SONOS should also build in the ability to accommodate ALL future technology NOW. It is only a simple matter of simple code. Every piece of equipment and software should be able to anticipate ALL technological and market changes at least fifty years into the future. Unless they can GUARANTEE such future compatibility, I'll sell all my SONOS equipment. That'll show 'em.
I second that! There are streaming services that haven't been invented yet (cause their inventors are still in diapers) and SONOS hasn't put them in my controller. HOW COME???!!! Unless they can release an app that adds features that will keep it current on technology, I don't see a future for this company.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Notwithstanding all the negativity here, back to the OP, it would be useful to have an Apple TV app "controller". I see artwork displayed on the screen and the queue. For those of us with a playbar, we get to listen to music right then and there. Others without a Playbar connected to the television would have to make do with their other Sonos gear. No different than the iPad or iPhone controllers which do not allow music to be played through the iPhone or iPad speaker. I think it's a great idea but definitely limited as a controller for obvious reasons discussed in this thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
+1 (for quintus' suggestion) - they already did the legwork for iPhone/iPad - maybe it's not a radical shift for an Apple TV app also ?
Does nobody knows how to access or control an app on an Apple TV? I've never used one, I'm genuinely curious.
Badge
Does nobody knows how to access or control an app on an Apple TV? I've never used one, I'm genuinely curious.

Apple just came out with a new Apple TV that supports native applications, and an App Store very much like iPhones / iPads / iPod Touch
Yes, sure bit it's a small white box that plugs into a TV. How do you control it?
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
It has a remote or you can use your iPhone or iPad to control it or any of the Harmony remotes if properly programmed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A controller/remote on the new Apple TV I can see. I'd love a way to show what's playing through my Living Room system on my TV..

I don't think Sonos will ever allow a device other than a Sonos speaker or component to output audio. And I'm cool with it... because hardware is their business.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Agreed. Just the controller would be awesome to have on the AppleTV with the actual audio running through your Sonos kit. Hmmm....wonder whether Sonos would have to allow higher resolution artwork though to display on 50-70" screens? Wouldn't that be awesome for a party! Sonos.....the possibilities are endless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hmmm....wonder whether Sonos would have to allow higher resolution artwork though to display on 50-70" screens? Wouldn't that be awesome for a party!
I don't think so... iOS tablets with their retina screens run at a higher resolution (2048x1536, higher for iPad Pro) than a Full HD TV (1920x1080)... so no, they shouldn't need higher resolution artwork. On a 4K TV (which Apple TV 4 doesn't support), then higher res artwork would probably be needed.
Badge
A native Apple tv4 Sonos controller is a no brainier, and as mentioned above surely the legwork is done with iPhone and iPad apps?
Yes to a Sonos controller app for Apple TV!
+1 for apple TV app controller
Userlevel 1
+1 for apple TV app controller
+1 for a controller on Apple TV
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
+1 for a controller on Apple TV

+1
I would love an Sonos Controller Apple TV app !