Sonos App for Apple TV 4

• 31 October 2015
  • 63 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Just got the new Apple TV, and the possibility for apps are fantastic. I can see my TV moving towards a hone center. My question is, if anyone else feels the urge for a Sonos app for Apple TV? I would love one!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Notwithstanding all the negativity here, back to the OP, it would be useful to have an Apple TV app "controller". I see artwork displayed on the screen and the queue. For those of us with a playbar, we get to listen to music right then and there. Others without a Playbar connected to the television would have to make do with their other Sonos gear. No different than the iPad or iPhone controllers which do not allow music to be played through the iPhone or iPad speaker. I think it's a great idea but definitely limited as a controller for obvious reasons discussed in this thread.
Badge
+1

A beautiful designed app für #tvOS would totally make sense.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Yes a good Apple TV app would be perfect! I love the new functions of the Apple TV and every time I've watched something or played a game I would love to switch to a Sonos app and start the music.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes, an AppleTv 4th gen app would be a no brainier.

One essential piece of it would be to allow the speakers connected to the AppleTv system be selectable as an output destination.

There is no reason not to do this other than internal politics (i.e. They don't want to risk loosing Play Bar sales by allowing the speakers connected to the AppleTv to be a output destination)
I believe SONOS should provide all equipment to anyone who wants it for free. No, that s a misstatement. They should PAY US to use their hardware and software. SONOS should also build in the ability to accommodate ALL future technology NOW. It is only a simple matter of simple code. Every piece of equipment and software should be able to anticipate ALL technological and market changes at least fifty years into the future. Unless they can GUARANTEE such future compatibility, I'll sell all my SONOS equipment. That'll show 'em.
Badge
A native Apple tv4 Sonos controller is a no brainier, and as mentioned above surely the legwork is done with iPhone and iPad apps?
Yes to a Sonos controller app for Apple TV!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Two words: for parties.

4 words: give them a tablet.

Two words: terrible idea.

I don't want to give them a tablet, nor do I want them controlling the music. They're my party guests, not a crowd of DJ's. I want a big display (on the TV) that's showing what's playing. So for now I AirPlay the iOS display to an AppleTV. It seems like a natural extension to desire an AppleTV app that could handle this natively and independently.
Badge
+1 for Apple TV app
Badge
+1 This would be great. 4 of my 5 rooms with Sonos have an Apple TV. The ability to skip songs and manage content with the remote I currently use for volume control would definitely be a better user experience.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Definitely think an Apple TV App would work well, even if it was a "Now Playing" pop up similar to the one you can pop out of the Sonos controller on Windows 10. Quite often I will be using my iPad and the TV is the secondary device playing music. It makes sense to have the Sonos attached to the device you are not actively using sometimes. It would allow others in the room the ability to change music without interfering with what I am doing.
Badge
Have you tried TunesMap. It looks really nice.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
This would be fantastic!
Please, make a Sonos app for the Apple TV.

Or, if Sonos does not have enough resources, contract the app to a 3rd party developer? I wouldn't mind paying $5 for the app
There is no reason not to do this other than internal politics (i.e. They don't want to risk loosing Play Bar sales by allowing the speakers connected to the AppleTv to be a output destination)

That's not "internal politics", it is simple economics. Unless Sonos management has some sort of internal struggle between the "make money" and "go out of business" factions?
One essential piece of it would be to allow the speakers connected to the AppleTv system be selectable as an output destination.
Great. And while they're at it, why not enable Bluesound, Denon, Samsung and LG speakers to be unofficial extensions of the Sonos system without a trace of revenue for Sonos.

For some reason the words 'commercial' and 'suicide' spring to mind...
I second that! There are streaming services that haven't been invented yet (cause their inventors are still in diapers) and SONOS hasn't put them in my controller. HOW COME???!!! Unless they can release an app that adds features that will keep it current on technology, I don't see a future for this company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
+1 (for quintus' suggestion) - they already did the legwork for iPhone/iPad - maybe it's not a radical shift for an Apple TV app also ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A controller/remote on the new Apple TV I can see. I'd love a way to show what's playing through my Living Room system on my TV..

I don't think Sonos will ever allow a device other than a Sonos speaker or component to output audio. And I'm cool with it... because hardware is their business.
+1 for apple TV app controller
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Well, tvOS is based on iOS, and porting apps is quite easy. Sonos should realize that music enjoyment is often a communal experience, sharing with others the artists and albums we appreciate. And that album artwork is something to be enjoyed too. Putting that content on the bigscreen while Sonos handles the music playback is another way to embrace the entirety of the experience.

I, for one, would enjoy that, rather than passing around a smartphone. And I know very many others, with Sonos equipment and AppleTV 4's, who would feel the same.

Who knows what the future holds? Feature requests from customers who use and love these products should be encouraged.
Well, tvOS is based on iOS, and porting apps is quite easy. Sonos should realize that music enjoyment is often a communal experience, sharing with others the artists and albums we appreciate. And that album artwork is something to be enjoyed too. Putting that content on the bigscreen while Sonos handles the music playback is another way to embrace the entirety of the experience.

I, for one, would enjoy that, rather than passing around a smartphone. And I know very many others, with Sonos equipment and AppleTV 4's, who would feel the same.

Who knows what the future holds? Feature requests from customers who use and love these products should be encouraged.

I agree wholeheartedly. A beautiful display of the currently SONOS album art, the upcoming queue, the ability to control the zone, and ability to switch into other zones to manage -- this would be fantastic. Perhaps even more simplistic than the iOS UI.

And indeed, a lot of code can be reused. I'm an iOS/tvOS/watchOS developer, and Apple has done a fantastic job of providing similar APIs for code reuse.

Being able to discuss feature requests is a great thing. It allows us as a community to identify good ideas, and further encourage SONOS to work on it.
Indeed who knows. Yeah, maybe porting is easy, it is however a totally different UI (must be optimized for a remote). Yeah, an ATV4 app could be nice (I have one myself).

One more thing to consider though: the installed base of ATV4s is still very very small, compared to iOS and Android phones. Heck, even there might be even more Windows phones. Sonos seems to strictly follow market share.

As an iOS and tvOS developer, let me say that making a tvOS UI is about 1000 times more easy. Apple has done most of the hard work by providing templates and other common UI elements that are much easier to implement on the Apple TV than the complex UIs on the iPhone/iPad.

I would be surprised if SONOS' iOS development team couldn't put together a first version in a weekend. It's really not that difficult. Following Apple's existing UI patterns are a must on tvOS, and then it feels like a natural extension of the platform and becomes a real joy for people to use.
And sometimes people need to stay realistic. Whatever, Sonos probably won't do it anyway, so much ado about nothing.

I think they will do it. It's a natural extension to move to tvOS and potentially even watchOS. So many companies with iOS apps have already done it.

The reason I think they will do it, is think back a decade ago when they had the hardware wireless controller. Then the iPhone comes along. They could have avoided making the iPhone app because of fear it would bring them less money because people stop buying the hardware wireless controller. And it did. But by staying relevant to the customer, by creating the app, they not only stayed relevant and in business, but started to thrive.

I think they are already working on this.

Two words: for parties.

4 words: give them a tablet.

Two words: terrible idea.

I don't want to give them a tablet, nor do I want them controlling the music. They're my party guests, not a crowd of DJ's. I want a big display (on the TV) that's showing what's playing. So for now I AirPlay the iOS display to an AppleTV. It seems like a natural extension to desire an AppleTV app that could handle this natively and independently.

Using the TV as a sort of heads up display is fantastic. It summarizes what is playing and what is coming up. A person with the Siri Remote can control it and make changes perhaps. But the rest of the visitors can't touch it. Marvelous.
I don't get this thread!? A Sonos App for Apple TV 4 imho is not really smart and not at all a "no brainer"!

This thread is really proposing an app for the AppleTV, so that a user can control Sonos equipment by controlling the AppleTV with the new Apple Remote? And how is that ANY better than controlling Sonos with fingers on a touch screen while something else is running on the AppleTV (there is no multitasking, you would need to jump out of an app to control Sonos and back again).

Sonos speakers do make sense when attached to the Apple TV (or an optical switch, or the TV) and when Sonos "Autoplay" is set, the system should switch to the optical input and play the ATV sound (for a tv series / film). You should be able to control the volume of the ATV (or TV) sound with the Apple TV remote while doing something in an app. I don't see any need for something else really.

You are obviously not an Apple TV 4 user. If you were, you'd understand. Your disagreement here is understandable though, because you don't personally have the need for this.

But some of us do. You will see this come to fruition.