Sonos Amps with Wifi Power Strip

• 4 October 2019
  • 8 replies

Thinking about adding a WI-FI powerstrip for my Sonos amps. This way they power on and off at certain times when I’m home. I’m trying to prolong the life off the amps. Do you all think this is a good idea. Or am I going to damage amps by having them coming on and off everyday at certain times. For example turn and be available after I get home and power down a few hours after I go to sleep.

8 replies

I'd suggest that they're designed to be left on all the time, so doing a regular power cycle would likely be detrimental, with the constant change in temperature in the internals. What I don't know is if we're talking about days of difference, or something else. Years? Minutes?
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking to power on the afternoon right before I get back from work and turn off at night after I go asleep, everyday. I just don’t like the idea that they are on all day, I feel that they are going to burnout by staying on all the time.
The power consumption settings for Sonos devices are located here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/256

I guess powering things off means the Amp components cool and contract and powering it on will cause them to warm up and expand, but not sure that anyone really knows what effect that may have on the overall life expectancy?
In UK currency... by my calculations (although I’m no mathematician)...

At 17.5p cost per kilowatt (1000 watts) of electricity I think the annual standby usage for the Amp works out to about £10.50p (approx)...

So switching it off for say half a day, every day saves £5.25 per year (365 days).

I hope I have that correct? ... However, every little bit helps!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Power-cycling is likely to cause you issues at some point. I wouldn't do it unless I was going to be out for over a week or during our thunderstorm season when I leave a lot of stuff unplugged.

I would get a high quality (not just overpriced and in a fancy box) surge suppressor and plug every Sonos device into one.
My main concern is longevity of the amp not that concerned about kilowatt usage.
I feel that they are going to burnout by staying on all the time.
That they will not, for sure. But they will certainly consume electricity. The unknown is by how much the electricity costs that you will save will be offset by shorter service life of the amp caused by the daily on/off; there is a reduction but no one can say how much that is.

Probably the wiser thing to do on balance is to leave the units that see daily use on all the time, power up the ones that do not, only when they are used, and power off all when leaving home for extended periods. And save on the costs of said strip.
My main concern is longevity of the amp not that concerned about kilowatt usage.
In that case, leave then on. Regular electrical and thermal shocks will reduce the life span. The point when electronics fails is typically at turn-on time.