Sonos Amp with Klipsch Heresy iii

• 30 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi Folks,

I was given a Sonos Amp for Christmas and now looking for some speakers. I’ve always liked the look of the Klipsch Heresay iii and wondering how these would go paired with the Sonos Amp?

I have a pair of Play 5’s and a Sub in another room, if that’s any indication of what I typically like. Also wondering how the Amp + Klipsch would compare to this setup.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I have a pair of Heresey III's and they are amazing speakers, I did find adding a Subwoofer (also a Klipsch) with crossover around 90-100Hz extended the range perfectly. Heresy speakers will respond best to a good clean signal. How the Connect Amp compares to a dedicated 2 channel amp I can't say.

My set-up is an Onkyo TX-8160 driving the Heresy speakers and audio out from the Onkyo to a Sonos Connect to drive some remote Play1's in other room when I need music in the dining and living room otherwise I just have the Heresy's being driven by the Onkyo. The new Onkyo TX-8270 is still a 2-channel amp with network connectivity (including working with Spotify and all the rest) and has what they call "Works with Sonos". You'll still need a Connect but I think a dedicated amp (Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha) is the best way to get the most out of those Klipsch Heresy.

Keep me updated, I am interested to hear which way you decide to go.
It’ll have no problem driving the Heresy’s. However, there are many, much smaller, more modern speaker designs that are far more accurate than the Heresy’s.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I think a dedicated amp (Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha) is the best way to get the most out of those Klipsch Heresy.
Well, the original poster already owns the Sonos Amp. It has a significantly higher power output specification than the Onkyo TX-8160: in theory, it should do a better job of driving the Klipsch speakers, which can handle the extra power.
Thanks all for the replies!

That is correct... not looking for another amp, very happy with the Sonos Amp.

@chicks what other speakers did you have in mind? I’ve been looking at the Monitor Audio Bronze floorstanders too, which get great reviews. It was the old-fashioned look of the Heresays that appealed to me though!
The Heresy’s are very efficient, will get very loud with just 1 watt driving them. However, they are very lacking in bass. Monitor Audio, Revel, PSB, lots of other modern designs will be far less efficient, but much better low end. The Sonos Amp has plenty of power for inefficient speakers.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-i9niweFNyUC/compare_265F208BK_714HRSY3BK/Revel-Performa3-F208-vs-Klipsch-Heresy-III.html
Thomas85, what setup did you settle on? I run the Heresy III's with the Sonos AMP and am very happy with them. I'm not one to go after really booming bass and am very happy with their output. I will note that mine are both positioned about 7-9" from a corner which does drastically help. I also pair them up with a Sonos sub, but honestly, the Heresies put out enough bass that the Sonos sub isn't that drastic of an addition. So if you're familiar with the Sonos sub and feel it puts out enough bass the Heresies will suit your needs.