Question

Sonos Amp & Sub Crossover

• 8 October 2019
  • 5 replies

I’m curious how Sonos would work in the following setup:

1 x amp for front passive speakers
1 x amp for rear smaller passive speakers
+ Sonos sub

is the sub crossover setting global or could I set different crossover for the front and rear speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Nelgrove

1) the sub would not work at all for the rear speakers

During setup test tones will sent to all speakers and the Sub (connected to the Sonos Amp driving the front speakers) will be optimized for the entire room.

2) it’s disabled and the full system will use the crossover applied to the front speakers

Answered in 1 above.

3) the app enables different crossovers for front and rear speakers connected to the same system?

Have not seen a cross over adjustment for Rears. Given that the Sub output is disabled I see no reason for a cross-over adjustment to be visible. The Sonos Amp driving the rears will take all setup commands from the Sonos Amp driving the front speakers. Everything will be optimized during setup for rears and the sub. The only adjustment for the rears will be volume through the Sonos App.

Honestly, (and no offense intended) I think you are over-thinking this for surrounds given the statement in the link I provided. If you are wanting to get as granular as you suggest Sonos may not be the right system for your needs. 🤔

Cheers!
Thanks. Have read through that:

but does it mean:

1) the sub would not work at all for the rear speakers
2) it’s disabled and the full system will use the crossover applied to the front speakers or
3) the app enables different crossovers for front and rear speakers connected to the same system?
Userlevel 7
Hi

thanks for the reply. Some AV receivers apply the same crossover across all speakers, whereas others allow you to have different crossovers for larger front and smaller rear speakers.

To confirm, is the crossover setting per sub / setup with this crossover applying across all speakers or can the crossover be set per amp / per pair of speakers?

i would like to have my front speakers at 60-80hz and my rear speakers at 100-120hz crossover. Is this possible with 2 x Sonos Amp and 1 x subwoofer?

To keep this short. The Subwoofer and Line-in connections are disabled when using the Sonos Amp to drive surrounds. Click here.

Cheers!
Hi

thanks for the reply. Some AV receivers apply the same crossover across all speakers, whereas others allow you to have different crossovers for larger front and smaller rear speakers.

To confirm, is the crossover setting per sub / setup with this crossover applying across all speakers or can the crossover be set per amp / per pair of speakers?

i would like to have my front speakers at 60-80hz and my rear speakers at 100-120hz crossover. Is this possible with 2 x Sonos Amp and 1 x subwoofer?
Userlevel 7
Hi Nelgrove

The sub crossover will only be concerned with the speakers attached to the Sonos Amp used to drive it and the front speakers. In that way using separate Sonos Amp's for front and rear speakers is no different than if you were using a conventional AVR that drives both front and rears.