Answered

sonos amp stereo or dolby

• 6 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

i haven’t found a solution anywhere on the support site so i’ll ask here. i replaced a sonos beam gen 2, sonos sub and sonos amp connected to passive rears for a sonos amp and two definitive 8060STs which have the subwoofers built in. they are connected hdmi to a roku tv.

when setting the tv to stereo output the voice are not clear coming from the speakers, with them coming out as stereo from the sonos amp. when the tv is set to play dolby, the sonos amp plays dolby and the voice are clear.

my question is - is the recommendation to use stereo or dolby as the audio output for the sonos amp from the roku tv? by setting it to dolby, is it now creating a phantom center channel which is making the dialogue better? is setting it to dolby without the rears making me lose out on other sounds during a movie?

appreciate the help here. i don’t want to go back to a receiver but need to make the sonos amp and my speakers have clear vocal dialogue.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 January 2022, 05:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Use whichever setting sounds the best to your ears. With the Dolby setting, even though you are playing Dolby Digital 5.1 audio out of two speakers, the audio will be downmixed to 2.1 or stereo with a phantom center channel, and the surround audio will be distributed between the two speakers.