Answered

Sonos Amp speaker power rating at 4 ohms?

• 2 January 2020
  • 5 replies

I’m planning on buying the Sonos Amp and to drive my old Amphion Helium 520 floorstanders (4ohms) with it.

The Sonos Amp manual states: “Your speakers’ power rating should be at least 125W for 8 ohm speakers, and at least 200W for 4 ohm speakers.” My speakers’ power recommendation is 10 to 150W so how should I interpret the power rating of 200w for 4ohm speakers? Will the Amp work with the speakers?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 2 January 2020, 15:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

While it is possible to damage speakers with a too powerful amplifier they will start sounding really bad long before that point. Something to worry about if you are renting but not for personal use.

Badge +3

There is also an option to set the maximum volume for the AMP within the SONOS app if you are worried. You could set it at 70% as an example. 

Great, thanks! I thought so myself but got mixed up with the wording on the manual. Now just have to wait for the Amp to arrive...

Have been using the amp for a week or so and can happily confirm that it works beautifully with the speakers! In terms of stereo sound quality and overall usability surpassed my previous Yamaha AVR. Amp seems to be quite powerful as the speakers are very loud (without distortion in sound) already when the volume is just over 60%.   

I’m planning on buying the Sonos Amp and to drive my old Amphion Helium 520 floorstanders (4ohms) with it.

The Sonos Amp manual states: “Your speakers’ power rating should be at least 125W for 8 ohm speakers, and at least 200W for 4 ohm speakers.” My speakers’ power recommendation is 10 to 150W so how should I interpret the power rating of 200w for 4ohm speakers? Will the Amp work with the speakers?

Thanks!

They’ll be fine.  It’s more important to match the resistance than the power rating.