Answered

Sonos AMP, Sonos Architectural Speakers & Multi-room confusion

• 12 March 2022
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies

Hello, 

I’ve done some searching and just wanted validate if I’m correct in my thinking.  We are doing a full reno and I’m looking to put Sonos In-Ceiling into our main floor. I was curious on the following: 

I understand that I can put 6 Architect speakers connected to ONE Sonos AMP.  I know that those 3 pairs/6 speakers can only play ONE source of music.  With this setup, however, can I independently control the volume to different zones?  

For context.  I have an open concept first floor.  I wanted to put one pair in the kitchen, one pair in the living room and one pair in the dining room ceilings.  I’m trying to figure out how I can (Most cost effectively) control those 3 rooms volume independently...ideally from the app, like I do my Sonos 1’s. I’m ok with the fact I can only play one source of music from this setup.

It seems like I can’t control volume independently between the 3 pairs without installing a analog dial on the wall.  I’m hoping I’m wrong.     

Thank you in advance.  

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 12 March 2022, 20:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The ATON should work. I recommend that you anticipate the ultimate failure of this unit (due to age) at some future point. In your wiring provide locations for in-wall Volume controls, Take a photo of the wire locations and leave the wire buried.

Some electricians may balk at this, but it is possible to incorporate Volume controls in a cluster of light switches and dimmers.

Thanks.  I was concerned about using this as well.  I’ve come across a “smart” stereo switch, just trying to see if I can source it in Canada 

Audioflow smart speaker switch. https://flow.audio/

This unit will not allow you to adjust relative output when multiple rooms are operating and it will connect speakers in series in some modes. Series connection can be used for amplifier protection, but it is a sonic down grade vs an autotransformer approach using in-inwall controls or your original box.

Userlevel 7

Check out this thread about using an impedance matching speaker selector:

Check out this thread about using an impedance matching speaker selector:

Thank you.  This seems to be my exact situation. I guess the app is a no go.  

It seems like I might be able to use this old audio switch I have as an alternative.  It’s an Aton DLA6 switch that I used to use for my airplay setup (years ago).  

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-L5034xoGxXV/p_881DLA6/Aton-DLA6.html

The ATON should work. I recommend that you anticipate the ultimate failure of this unit (due to age) at some future point. In your wiring provide locations for in-wall Volume controls, Take a photo of the wire locations and leave the wire buried.

Some electricians may balk at this, but it is possible to incorporate Volume controls in a cluster of light switches and dimmers.