Answered

Sonos Amp simultanious inputs & speakers

• 9 October 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello All,

I have a question about the Sonos Amp.

Is is possible to use the HDMI and analog RCA input simultaniously and stream their signals to different Sonos speakers?
Example: Stream the audio of a playstation thats connected through the HDMI input to the speakers near the TV and at the same time stream the audio of a turntable thats connected through the RCA input to the speakers in the kitchen?

And/or would it also be possible to stream an internet service (eg, spotify) to a third pair of speakers while using the other input(s)?

Cheers!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 9 October 2019, 15:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi no sos

The HDMI_ARC is designed to be connected to your TV and peripherals connected to available HDMI port on it. You can also use an optional optical/HDMI adapter if necessary. Bottom-line all audio would be send to the 3rd party left/right speakers.

You can have a turntable or CD player connected to the RCA ports and either send the sound to the same speakers or designate a room with Sonos speakers as the auto-play room for that component.

Operationally all components could be in the same room even if using other Sonos speakers for the connected RCA component.

Yes, you could stream an audio source to the Sonos Amp with 3rd party speakers or the Sonos speakers if they are being used for the RCA connected component. You could stream independently to one set of speakers or group them to one another. That's the versatility of Sonos!

Let us know if you have additional questions. Cheers!
Hi AjTrek1,

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm not quite sure however if I fully understand you answer.

First, I am not using 3rd party speakers. I want to buy everything from Sonos (That's, if it will work for my usecase).

Amp (source: HDMI) --> Sonos speaker pair 1 (2x Sonos Play 5) in the TV room
Amp (source: RCA) --> Sonos speaker pair 2 (2x Sonos Play 5) in the livingroom
Amp (source: Web service eg. Spotify) --> Sonos speaker pair 3 (2x Sonos Play 5) in the kitchen

All playing simultanious using the same Amp (not 3 amps).

Thanks again!
Hi AjTrek1,

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm not quite sure however if I fully understand you answer.

First, I am not using 3rd party speakers. I want to buy everything from Sonos (That's, if it will work for my usecase).

Amp (source: HDMI) --> Sonos speaker pair 1 (2x Sonos Play 5) in the TV room

This is a bad idea. Only the passive speakers connected to the amp and other speakers bonded for rear surround sound will be in sync with the TV. You can group your Amp 'room' with the Play:5s, but it will be delayed slightly to buffer for multiroom audio. Even if you find the delay acceptable, as some due, the Play:5 has it's own aux input You don't really gain anything by routing the signal through the Sonos amp. Even if you were trying to avoid a wire between the TV and a play:5, a Sonos Port would be a cheaper option.

Amp (source: RCA) --> Sonos speaker pair 2 (2x Sonos Play 5) in the livingroom

Assuming your source isn't a TV, this is fine, but again, the Play:5 has it's own aux input. Not necessary. I don't think you would be able to use your HDMI and Aux at the same time, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Amp (source: Web service eg. Spotify) --> Sonos speaker pair 3 (2x Sonos Play 5) in the kitchen

Each Sonos speaker can get audio from a streaming source on it's own. Absolutly no value of using the amp for this. I imagine play:5s is too much for a kitchen, but I don't know your kitchen.

All playing simultanious using the same Amp (not 3 amps).

Thanks again!

The biggest concern is your 1st use. I would go ahead and get a pair of play:5s and try it out using the aux input. If you find it good...great. If it sounds good but you hate the wires, then try using a port to bridge the gap. Return the port if it doesn't work for you. Use the play:5s in your other rooms if you don't like it here.

Try similar for your other rooms. You don't need to buy everything at once. You can buy some try some things out, even return what doesn't work. Generally speaking though, the amp isn't designed to a source for all your audio sources Each room should generally provide it's own source, and will have the ability to share that with other rooms.
Userlevel 7
Hi no sos

I think you have the wrong understanding of why or why not you would need a Sonos Amp.

In your case a Sonos Beam, Playbar or Playbase is the recommended speaker for a TV to which you can add a Sonos sub and/or Sonos surround speakers. Any game machine or 4K/DVD player would connect to an available HDMI port on your TV.

You could buy other Sonos speakers to place around you home either single or stereo pair. The latter requires that the Sonos speakers chosen be identical.

A turntable with a built in pre-amp or out board preamp can be connected to a Sonos Port. You would then designate either the Beam, Paybar or Playbase as the auto-play room; or you could designate a stereo pair mentioned above.

Bottom-line you don't need a Sonos Amp.

Cheers!
melvimbe & AjTrek1

wow.. amazing

Thanks for your detailed replies. I really appreciate it.
And.. (even better 😉 I totally get the picture now.

Thanks!

You guys rock 🤘